BSOD on Windows 7, only runs in safe mode

rocketman60

I hope someone can help me with this blue screen issue. It all started about 2 weeks ago when I was playing a dvd. Now I get the blue screen almost as soon as windows starts in regular mode. From what I have read, I need to read the dump files to be able to know what the problem is. I tried to upload one of these files but they are all 271 kb which exceeds the limit for an attachment. Anybody got any suggestions?

Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. The Zip file will compress the file in order to be able to attach.You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is.

If you built your system then tell us the make of your motherboard. If you purchased it give us the manufacturer, i.e. Dell, HP, etc.

Go to HP's website, find your exact model and update the latest wireless drivers that they have for your system.

Well for some reason the HP website doesn't list my exact model, but my wireless adapter is a Broadcom 4322AG, so I Googled that and found a driver that is supposed to support it. I tried to install it but got an error message saying I need to first install ".NET Framework 4". So I downloaded that and tried to install but got an error that it could not complete the installation in safe mode. Not sure what to do at this point.

UPDATE: I was able to run windows in "Normal" (by disabling the wireless adapter) long enough to get both the .NET Framework 4 and the Broadcom driver installed. However, I'm still getting the BSOD when I open up Internet Explorer.

Okay, we have something different: Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

UPDATE: Ok...I had a little trouble getting the boot cd made, so in the meantime I went ahead and pulled out one of the memory sticks just to see what might happen and so far it has run very stable. I ran memtest on the existing stick and it showed to be ok. I will try to test the other one tonight. I did get 2 bsod's but it seems to be related to using my external Seagate backup hard drive. I will attach those minidump files if you can be so kind as to look at them...thank you for your help so far!!

Attachments

• minidump3.zip
    55.5 KB · Views: 3
The McAfee driver mfealpk.sys was cited as the cause.

What did the other stick show under memtest?

The other stick is showing good also. I haven't had any more BSOD's these past couple of days. I guess I need to put other stick in and run memtest on them both together.

The other stick is showing good also. I haven't had any more BSOD's these past couple of days. I guess I need to put other stick in and run memtest on them both together.

It may have been something as simple as needing to re-seat your memory. Keep us updated.

I waited a few days before reinstalling the 2nd stick, but soon afterwards I got a blue screen. Wondering if maybe there is a compatibility problem, but these are the original sticks that came with it.

Attachments

• minidump4.zip
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
This time the error code is 0x3B and these are usually caused by video drivers. But the fact that your memory keeps coming into play is still our main concern here. Did you run memtest for 7 Passes per stick?

For diagnostic purposes I suggest the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Yes, I ran memtest for 7 passes and both sticks showed no errors. I also uninstalled my video driver and downloaded new one per your instructions and so far I'm not having any problems. Thank you for your help. Maybe this was the last of the issues that needed addressing.

Okay; hopefully this will rectify the issue. If stability continues please check in with us in a few days and let us know. Thanks!

Well overnight a problem reoccurred. I will also note that when I ran the driver sweeper, the only files that it displayed were for the nvidia chipset (showed to be registry files), so I didn't remove any of them. My video card is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD.

Attachments

• 052311-16348-01.zip
    27.9 KB · Views: 2
Back