Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

BSOD persisting after a factory reset

By Ian Crockett ยท 36 replies
Nov 16, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Before resetting my pc, I managed to get a virus/malware, something that continuously made my pc experience BSOD every few hours, whether I was playing a game, or watching something on YouTube, etc. I chose to just factory reset, I didn't have anything particularly important or needed to keep so that was the easiest option. Now that I have done so, my pc experiences BSOD a lot less frequently. Once period, however, is out of my comfort zone. I built my pc and attached the specs and minidump zip. Only 2 crashes have happened this month. Hopefully that is enough to try and find a fix. And of course if questions are asked I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Pc Specs.PNG

Attached Files:

2. holdum323

holdum323 TS Booster Posts: 618   +79

3. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Booster Posts: 284   +37

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Get started by reading his dump files search it with built in google search with whatever the error code gives you.

4. MaikuTech

Lan crockett how long ago did you build your computer ?
    Give me a run of your system specs including your gpu also try playing a game.
    http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.81-en.exe
    For the game settings try medium high or medium low, keep task manager open on the side.
    If it crashes while you game, watch a youtube video, crunchyroll video or even a local video file.
    Let me know so we can figure out where to go from there.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  5. mzafpk

mzafpk TS Rookie

6. Ian Crockett

Ian Crockett TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry to reply so late, I seem to have found the issue however, I still don't quite know how to fix it. Ive found that when I dont have Steam installed, my pc has no issue, but when I have it on my pc, it tends to BSOD. Most often when im downloading a game, but it can still happen even if I just have it open without downloading anything.

7. holdum323

8. MaikuTech

What kind of video card do you have by chance, name and model number will do.
    If you get a chance this week, use this program here, dump out the error code and bring it back here.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    @holdum323 don't use that program, use this one here, techspot uses this as well to trouble shoot.
    I told you to use that program to help you trouble shoot in another thread weeks ago and you still don't get it. -_-
    @lan crockett:
    Also the way you state the problem it sounds like it maybe a video driver problem or one of the files with steam is messed up.

9. holdum323

10. MaikuTech

We aren't using who crashed and burn software, thats the last of this conversation we will have.

11. holdum323

Who are we??Do you speak for the staff here on TS? If the staff here on TS informs me that Who Crashed should not be recommended, then I'll stop recommending the software.;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  12. Ian Crockett

By error code do you mean like "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" for example? If so that would be my most common one. But there is a few more. If that is what your talking about ill post the rest in my next reply. Also, I have an Asus Geforce GTX 1060, I believe the model number is G410 0030.

13. MaikuTech

Ok then if you can bring me those dumps from bluescreen viewer I would appreciate it.
    In the mean time look at your nvidia control panel.
    Tell me what version do you have by chance ?
    Click on system information within the nvidia control panel then click about.
    It should give you the current driver that is installed, I am not too sure but it might be a problem with it if steam is crashing.
    https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/357288572127174544/
    Read this and read some at the bottom try what emc2 suggests and see what happens.

14. holdum323

15. Ian Crockett

Ive done a clean install, I wish I could just take a nap and wake up with it fixed:confused:

16. holdum323

How many BSOD are you getting after clean install. Have you tested any of your hardware. Have you ran a chkdsk on your Hard Drive. Have you tested your RAM? Can you duplicate a BSOD. Here's a good read for you. Let us know how things go!
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_troubleshooting

17. Ian Crockett

For the NVIDIA control panel I have version 388.31
    I uploaded the dumps, and ill try the method E=mc^2 recommends right after posting this.

Attached Files:

18. holdum323

19. Ian Crockett

I tried his fix, and it did not work. My crashes are happening most commonly when downloading games from steam. After trying his fix I was able to download 1 game, so I tried a another thinking maybe it worked, but about 5 minutes after starting that download it BSOD'd again. @holdum323 , ill get on that right now.

20. Ian Crockett

I ran the chkdsk and it is saying "Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode."

21. holdum323

22. holdum323

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  23. Ian Crockett

I asked my father, since he worked a bit on it since I was gone over the weekend, and he says there is no issue with the RAM after using memtest. I first ran chkdsk by just typing chkdsk in the command prompt and hitting enter, then I did "chkdsk C: /r" and restarted my PC to do that..

24. holdum323

Hi Were you able to complete a chkdsk from CMD? You did not answer my question! Are you over clocking?
    What are the results of the chkdsk? Are you reading my links or are you shooting from the hip? Post# 21
    PS good to hear that memtest found no issues!

25. Ian Crockett

this is what my PC is doing right now, only its at 10 rather then 57
    upload_2017-11-30_18-49-54.
    I am not over clocking, and I am reading your links.

26. holdum323