BSOD when playing blu-ray on Cyberlink PowerDVD 9

Hi I had Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 but was getting BSOD on trying to play a blu-ray in Windows 7 64-bit (error 0x0000007E file nvlddmkm.sys). Cyberlink gave me PowerDVD 9 and asked me to update the drivers for my GTX 480 graphics card.

With the latest v260.99 drivers PowerDVD 9 appears to play blu-ray (I tested for 40 seconds) but in games the screen is squashed so black bands appear on the left and right (I tested Left 4 Dead). If I restore the old v258.96 drivers the games work but I get the BSOD again on trying to play blu-ray.

I would be very grateful if anyone has some ideas how to fix this? I ran memtest but no errors, the PC is new (3 months old), and everything else seems to work (e.g. my ATAPI iHOS104 ATA Device blu-ray drive plays DVDs on PowerDVD fine).

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

All three minidump files cite the same Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys as the cause of your Blue Screens. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave the other drivers listed alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Thanks, here's what happened:

1. Downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro and installed it.

2. Downloaded latest NVidia driver v260.99 for my GTX 480 and OS.

3. Uninstalled and deleted the drivers for my video card and rebooted into safe mode. Ran Driver cleaner pro to remove Nvidia, Nvidia Stereo, and Nvidia WDM drivers. It removed 7 extra registry entries, 2 files and 1 folder for NVidia and NVidia WDM (it found nothing for Stereo).

4. Rebooted and Windows automatically installed the old video card drivers - I could not find a way to stop this installation. I then installed the new driver and ticked the option for "clean install" removing all old video card software.

5. It then prompted me to reboot, which I did, and encountered the same issue. I tested some more games - Left 4 Dead and Medieval 2: Total War had squashed screens, while Left 4 Dead 2 ran properly with a full screen.

I'm open to further suggestions?

Back