BSOD while playing a game and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has run fine for cod4 and 2moons, but i just dl'd rf online (private server) and a little bit into playing and i get the BSOD. i had first gotten 3 errors in event viewer. 2 had to do with postgres which i uninstalled and fixed those errors. After that, the game worked fine for the rest of the night, then i turned comp off...today, i turn comp on, i start playing rf online and ..BSOD. the bsod says its something to do with the 3rd error i had "CRT invalid display type", so i uninstalled my current catylyst driver and installed 7.6 catalyst, that fixed that error....now the error doesn't come up in event viewer, but a little bit into playing rf online, and i get the BSOD, it says i'm getting an ati error among other stuff....... idk what to do.

when i reboot it says that my system recovered from a serious error....

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

You would do well to document the errors and events rather than just throwing out that you had them. Follow this path:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

The copy will include the Event ID#, the Source and the description. When taken together, this can go a long way to help find a cause. The BSOD you get should also have a corresponding Event Error.

I did a system restore to my last point comp was working fine, then re dl'd rf online (private server) and still have the problems:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 5/6/2008
Time: 9:41:41 PM
User: N/A
Computer: STUDENT-HGSQ76F
Description:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf248ef8, parameter3 f6b679e4, parameter4 00000000.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062
Time: 9:40:20 PM
Description:
CRT invalid display type
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CPLIB
Event ID: 52249
Time: 9:40:18 PM
Description:
CPLIB :: Initialization - Failed to load the library
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the Catalyst problem wasn't solved. All three events point to the same problem:

Event ID: 1003, Source: System Error, Description: Error code 1000008e,
Points to a faulty hardware driver.

Event ID: 45062, Event Source: ati2mtag, Description:CRT invalid display type
ati2mtag points to the ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver
As per ATI: "When a digital panel connected to the graphics card the Windows system log will show the error CRT invalid display type, the source is ati2mtag. This occurs with Catalyst 7.7 and higher. This error will not cause any issues to the system or performance. If you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to install Catalyst 7.6". See the link to "AMD Knowledge Base Topic 737-29385" for more information.

Event ID: 52249, Event Source: ati2mtag, Description: CPLIB :: Initialization - Failed to load the library

Follow the direction for the AMD contact. Let me know how the system is after.

there is no "AMD Knowledge Base Topic 737-29385"

and i went on the amd website, tech support, clicked 'computer keeps crashing', and it told me to do a list of things, after one of the set of things it told me to restart, i restarted and after loading my desktop it immediately crashed....so i had to go into bios--> fail safe mode --> restore point.

still have those 2 ati problems.

it it helps, rf online is running perfectly fine, until i go to a certain place, then my comp crashes.
so i didn't go to that spot anymore. i figured it may be graphics, so i turned down all the graphics and went elsewhere to level, worked fine, so i put up the graphics, comp crashed. i put the graphics back down, comp freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back