BSOD - Window doesn't load - both in normal and safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm getting BSOD at the window start-up - what's weird is my computer was working just fine 5 minutes ago! I don't how it happened but I was on two sites ebay and youtube, and was playing Football Manager - with everything working fine, then I went to wash the dishes and came back to find my computer in this state so I'm not sure what caused this error!

I can't 'capture' the BSOD because as soon as it comes up, the computer reboots itself. This is really weird because it was working fine just 5 minutes ago and yesterday too - and there wasn't any window update or anything. And as far as I know, there was no spyware or viruses. So yeah, I can't boot-up both the safe and normal mode. The BSOD comes up few seconds into the window loading screen.

Could it be fan problem? Because few times before, when I tried to play graphical games such as NBA 2k9 - the system says "Warning! temperature too high! please check your fan and heatsink!". So after that, I never did play any games! But the only game that worked was Football Manager so I played that sometimes because I never got that message when I was playing FM.

I also checked the fan temperature through start-up menu and saw "Current system fan speed" and "Current system power speed" is 0. Is this normal? And does fan not working = windows not booting up?

I'm really not sure of this, anyway. any suggestion or help on how to fix this? I really really hope my data in my HD is still there....

Oh, I'm running on Window XP.

Thanks!

I suspect the fan failed altogether and your CPU overheated and eventually toasted. After the warning message did you in fact check the fan and heatsink?

I suspect the fan failed altogether and your CPU overheated and eventually toasted. After the warning message did you in fact check the fan and heatsink?

Sadly, no. But I didn't get that warning message today... I get it only when I play graphical games so I don't play it.

Sorry for this noobie question but...how do I check the fan and heatsink? sorry..

Do you mean literally opening up and check it? How do I know if it's broken or overheated?
OR how do I check it if it's checking it on computer..?

Will this effect my datas in HD?

You can go into the BIOS to check for fan RPM or perhaps what you said you did in your first post. In other words you finally checked and discovered the fan wasn't working (RPMs zero). You could open the case and see if the fan and heatsink are clogged with dust. If so, obviously, you will want to clean it out. Be gentle in doing so, of course. After it's cleaned see if it works ok. If you're lucky, maybe the CPU (processor) wasn't damaged and perhaps the fan was working slowly before it finally quit. If the fan won't come back to life, you would have to replace it before you can find out if the CPU is damaged or not.

Edit: The data on the hard drive should be unaffected.

You can go into the BIOS to check for fan RPM or perhaps what you said you did in your first post. In other words you finally checked and discovered the fan wasn't working (RPMs zero). You could open the case and see if the fan and heatsink are clogged with dust. If so, obviously, you will want to clean it out. Be gentle in doing so, of course. After it's cleaned see if it works ok. If you're lucky, maybe the CPU (processor) wasn't damaged and perhaps the fan was working slowly before it finally quit. If the fan won't come back to life, you would have to replace it before you can find out if the CPU is damaged or not.

Hmm I cleaned out the fan (I cleanred it a month ago though so there wasn't much dust) and it still doesn't work. So I'm assuming the fans not working which leads to window not working...? Or could the CPU also be damaged?

If the CPU was damaged, would hard drive still be unaffected?

Thanks for your help!

Hmm, I just checked again - whilst "Current system fan speed" and "Current system power speed" is 0 RPM, the Current CPU fan speed is roughly 1300RPM. So that's working fine...

The fans seem to be running actually... I opened it up whilst the computer is on and the CPU and power fans seem to be running...

Does this mean it's to do with HD error or CPU? Possible virus? But if it is virus, is it even possible to get it whilst your on ebay or youtube (those hugely known official sites)? I really don't think it's virus to be fair because there is no way I could've gotten it whilst I was gone...

If it is CPU problem, is there a chance that it'd also effect the datas inside HD? there is very important projects inside that...i can't possibly begin to think about restarting... i know i should've backed up though..grr..

thanks

If it is a CPU problem, the hard drive should not be affected. If the fan stopped working for awhile the CPU could have been damaged during that time. That said, try to start the PC in safe mode again. Maybe you didn't do it correctly. As the computer is starting, tap the F8 key a number of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back