BSOD with Audio/Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashedburned

Attached please find my .dmp files. I only get the BSOD when watching video and sometimes just listening to audio. It's persistent now. Thanks for the help!

One error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware issues and are a strong indicator of memory corruption.

Two erros are 0xA and these are caused by etiher hardware or drivers. One in particular cited memory corruption.

The final error is 0xD1 and these are mostly caused by drivers but they can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile. In this dump it cited the McAfee driver mfehidk.sys.

First and foremost you should test for corrupted memory by using Memtest.

See this link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

*** Get back to us with the results.

Ran the memtest - found error

I ran the memtest and it found an error almost immediately. I'm going to try to switch out the memory and see if that resolves the issue. I will post my results. Thanks so much for the help!

I replaced the memory, so far no crashes. However, I also discovered that the battery on my notebook is faulty. I have been running without the battery as well. Not sure if that had something to do with it, probably not. Anyway if I encounter any further issues I will post onto this thread. Thank you so much for the help!

Great! And you are welcome. Glad it was easily fixed. I doubt your notebook battery had anything to do with your issue. Unless I know I will specifically need it I always keep the battery uninstalled and store it in a safe place.

Afraid I spoke too soon

I got another BSOD while watching a Flash video. Both memory modules are brand new, so I don't think it's possible it's a problem with the memory itself. Could it be a problem with the memory controller somehow? Could it be video memory since it happens most often when watching video?

New "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" BSOD

Now I got a BSOD that said "MEMORY MANAGEMENT", I've attached the dmp file. Could it be the laptop is overheating?

Read both dumps and the first is 0xA which I briefly defined in my first response.

The other is 0x1A and it cited memory corruption but I dug further and there are several parameter codes that defines more. Yours is "A PTE or the working set list is corrupted."

I have done a decent search and one of the causes may very well be heat issues as you ask. Google "A PTE or the working set list is corrupted" and you'll see possible causes one of which may be an infection even of the Boot Sector (boot virus).

Compatibility can also be a issue. You'll have to try running just 1 stick at a time to see.

Thanks for stepping in peterdiva. This one is a perplexing one. Might it also be wrong voltage settings? We've been seeing an increase of this lately.

Trouble never ends

I contacted Dell tech support, they had me reinstall some drivers. Things seemed to improve for a while, but recently it's been crashing on a daily basis. I've attached the latest mini dumps. HELP!!!!!

One error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware though sometimes by drivers. This dump simply cited hardware.

Two errors are 0xA and that are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level they shouldn't. One simply cited hardware. The other specifically cited the driver NETw5v32.sys which is an Intel Wireless Wifi Linl Adater driver.

* Update the your wireless drivers. It could be you card is defective which is a common occurance.

The remaining error is 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

The driver cited is symsnap.sys which is a StorageCraft Volume Snap-Shot driver belonging to the software StorageCraft Volume Snap-Shot Develpomnet Edition by StorageCraft .

This is also tied to Symantec LiveState Recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back