BSODs after installing new RAM

Hello,
I recently bought 1 stick of 8 gb memory and since then, I've been encountering random BSOD messages.

My first thought was to run a Memtest, which I ran for 8 passes with no errors. I have also followed the other advice on the announcement topics before making this thread.

It's also worth noting that I have a rather large CPU cooler which blocks 1 DIMM slot. If I put RAM in the slot just left of it, the PC won't boot up at all (and this applied to my old RAM as well). Would it be best to remove this cooler and use a smaller one?

I'm guessing that, in spite of the Memtest, it would be best to return the RAM. However, I wanted to check to see if any solutions can be determined from the minidumps beforehand, which I will enclose with this topic.

I don't know if this would help, but here are my other PC specs, as well as my previous RAM and my current RAM:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 ATX LGA1155
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD and a 1TB Western Digital External HDD
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 1.25GB
Case: Antec 900
Old RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4 GB (4x1) DDR3-1600
Current RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice!

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    108.3 KB · Views: 2
"Would it be best to remove this cooler and use a smaller one?"... Will the memory fit in the first slot if you install it before you re-install the CPU cooler? If not, yes, get a better fitting Cooler for the motherboard. ASUS boards are picky about the type of memory installed. You might have to install 2 4GB modules instead of 1 8GB module

"Would it be best to remove this cooler and use a smaller one?"... Will the memory fit in the first slot if you install it before you re-install the CPU cooler? If not, yes, get a better fitting Cooler for the motherboard. ASUS boards are picky about the type of memory installed. You might have to install 2 4GB modules instead of 1 8GB module

Thanks, I'll replace the cooler I currently have in it with the standard cooler that came with the CPU, and see if I can place any memory in the slots nearest it then.

You have effectively cut your memory bandwidth in half by using only 1 DIMM. Dual channel operation requires 2 or 4 slots populated. Return the defective 8GB stick and buy a 2 x 4GB kit of 1600 or 1866 MHz.
If you were using 4 x 1GB DIMMs before, obviously they fit under the Evo's fan, so what's the problem? The fan can be raised almost half an inch, by the way. Your board's manual says to populate slots A2 & B2 if using only 2 DIMMs (2nd & 4th slots from CPU), I assume to avoid cooler clearance issues.
I built a system for my cousin using basically these same parts, and his runs great, plays high-end 2013 games almost as well as my Ivy rig.

You have effectively cut your memory bandwidth in half by using only 1 DIMM. Dual channel operation requires 2 or 4 slots populated. Return the defective 8GB stick and buy a 2 x 4GB kit of 1600 or 1866 MHz.
If you were using 4 x 1GB DIMMs before, obviously they fit under the Evo's fan, so what's the problem? The fan can be raised almost half an inch, by the way. Your board's manual says to populate slots A2 & B2 if using only 2 DIMMs (2nd & 4th slots from CPU), I assume to avoid cooler clearance issues.
I built a system for my cousin using basically these same parts, and his runs great, plays high-end 2013 games almost as well as my Ivy rig.

I actually meant only 1 stick of 4 gb. Sorry, I typed it incorrectly. I will try a 2 x 4 GB setup though, after I've tested all the DIMMs and if they all work alright.

Back