Building a cheap AMD gaming rig need help with some parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

klepto12

OK so im building a cheap AMD gaming rig for my wife to play WoW on and some other games but i will use it to.

So far i have this

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ -$74.99
Case-NZXT TEMPEST - $99.99 with $30 rebate.
Video card-EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB-$124.99 with $15 rebate

i have a 600Watt ultra PSU that i will be reusing from a previous build i just wanted a good solid MB and Ram so i can O.C a bit. I want to stay as close to $500 as possible. also a good HSF for the CPU. also any suggestions on the parts i have already picked out will be great thnx.

The Ultra is not dependable over time... It has wide swings in output under stress.
Look at the EVGA and MSI boards, and Zalman cooler for dependable quality parts at low cost.

Motherboard - $79.99
RAM - $39.99
PSU -$69.99
Hard Drive $59.99
Plus the X2 7750 you chose ($74.99) and the 9800GT ($124.99)

Total comes to $449.94 before tax. Leaves a bit for buying a case... don't know about shipping though. It's hard to fit a $500 budget.

Case Far better than the case/PSU you've picked.

RAM I've owned G.Skill.. It's...umm...adequate and that's about it.

Motherboard Currently using this unit in some of our better AMD builds, and so far it's awesome.

Hard drive Stay away from Caviar SE drives. They're garbage.

$334.99 after rebates, plus $200 for your other parts. You're a tad over, but it's a far superior build than anything else mentioned so far.

Using this board will save you $20 and it's a great board.

thnx for the replies guys i am sticking with the ultra PSU that has been going strong in an sli rig for a year and i like the case that i picked alot better. also forgot to mention i had a 500g samsung HD brand new and i have the dvd burners.Also the ultra PSU i bought was sli certified and cost like $120.99 so i think it will do fine.

The HD 4830 is a better card compared to the 9800GT.

And for the amount you're spending, you can go Intel.

everything i have read says that the 9800gt and 4830 are pretty close in comparison and im a Nvidia fan dont much care for ati cards have had horrible driver experiences with Ati.

whats wrong with g.skill they have a very good rating and better timmings than alot of the ram i have seen. Also i built my friend a comp and he is running the same kit in his comp with no problems at all. any suggestions on what ram then? i really like the price to.

whats wrong with g.skill they have a very good rating and better timmings than alot of the ram i have seen. Also i built my friend a comp and he is running the same kit in his comp with no problems at all. any suggestions on what ram then? i really like the price to.

Nothing at all wrong with G.Skill... well, except for their lower end priced stuff. If you want quality low-end memory, go with something from Corsair or Mushkin, imo.

Other opinions will vary, of course.

ok well guess i will go with good old Evga like always :grinthumb and grab that crucial ram. so does anyone see anything i should address before i make the final decision.

What is the total you are spending so far with your updated choices?

Because, honestly, I still agree with the PSU being an issue. Even if it HAS run your rig for a long time, that doesn't mean it will not freak out on your new hardware because of unreliable voltages/amps.

the new total is $503.95 but i have $45 in rebates. Also i don't have the extra cash for a new PSU but i think the one i have is very good haven't had 1 problem out of it at all and it was running a amd FX60. 2 7900GTXs in Sli. 2 500g hard drives and 2 dvd burners with about 5 case fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back