Need Help Building New Gaming PC

As title says, need help building a gaming PC. I have a budget around $1,400 more or less. This is the build I am thinking about, but feel free to give suggestions and or make changes to the build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDKr6R

I don't have a case on their as iam looking for one with good airflow so that is why I haven't added one yet.

PS: Was thinking of going with AMD, but someone said not too as Ryzen chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage. Here is exactly what he said:

Personally, I would avoid the RYZENS at this stage. Im a big AMD CPU fan but the RYZEN chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage. AMD implemented PCIE Gen4 and has been having to disable that now. Then each version of the chip requires a different AEGIS (something like that) version. This means they cannot make a Unified BIOS due to limited space and you have to really researh which BIOS is needed for the Ryzen generation...right now 1.0.0.3 abba is for the Ryzen 3xxx but not all motherboard have it. The Ryzen 2xxx needs an older BIOS but the AEGIS numbers are not in numerical order, so it might be like a 1.0.0.8 (just example) so the BIOS does not tell you anything other than 1.0.0.3 abba and a lot of people update the bios like they do their drivers and create yet another issue.

I asked if I could get help building a new PC, but maybe I should ask if by upgrading mine it would still be solid. I have a i5 4690K with a 1080 FTW GPU and 8 GB of RAM, but the MB will need to be replaced as two channels for my RAM have stopped working.

If you do not think upgrading my PC would make it solid again, would you all recommend building a new PC I take it?

Last edited:
Any money spent on just upgrading your current system wouldn't really be worth it, as it's your motherboard that's limiting your CPU and RAM upgrade paths. The arrangement you've gone for on PCPartPicker is pretty good and any alternative suggested isn't going to be hugely better. I'm suggesting the following:

This is simply because I like threads :)

As title says, need help building a gaming PC. I have a budget around $1,400 more or less. This is the build I am thinking about, but feel free to give suggestions and or make changes to the build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDKr6R

I don't have a case on their as iam looking for one with good airflow so that is why I haven't added one yet.

PS: Was thinking of going with AMD, but someone said not too as Ryzen chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage. Here is exactly what he said:

Personally, I would avoid the RYZENS at this stage. Im a big AMD CPU fan but the RYZEN chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage. AMD implemented PCIE Gen4 and has been having to disable that now. Then each version of the chip requires a different AEGIS (something like that) version. This means they cannot make a Unified BIOS due to limited space and you have to really researh which BIOS is needed for the Ryzen generation...right now 1.0.0.3 abba is for the Ryzen 3xxx but not all motherboard have it. The Ryzen 2xxx needs an older BIOS but the AEGIS numbers are not in numerical order, so it might be like a 1.0.0.8 (just example) so the BIOS does not tell you anything other than 1.0.0.3 abba and a lot of people update the bios like they do their drivers and create yet another issue.

Ok so given the past responses which isn't really helpful.
1.Get rid of that seagate hard drive, they have a very bad engineering problems.

2.That ram speed doesn't work with that motherboard yet.
Search for this one as it works with it at the moment.

3.Also good choice on the ssd drive, but go for this brand as it is newer
Also get it slightly used to cut off 14.00 bucks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...words=samsung+evo+drive&qid=1574261677&sr=8-4

4. Nearly 500.00 damn dollars on a gtx 2070 ? O_o
If you really don't need 8gb, this 6gb version I picked will be plenty for you.
Also it will work like a beast with that intel 8 core chip.
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...?keywords=evga+gtx+2070&qid=1574261879&sr=8-7

5.One warning to you about Asus, don't rely on their products or you will regret it deeply.

This will do much better and they last longer, I have a blu-ray burner in my pc from 2011.
It has yet to fail or give me a reason to call LG technical support about it.

So reading all of that, going with this intel build and the parts I suggested.
You will do just fine with it, you don't need amd ryzen aka Raisins.

As for case choosing this one here will hold all of that junk and then some:

Also if you need cable management tips check with them.
There are a few people there who know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
Huh you did a much better job at prebuilding, also sorry for the late response.
Either build will work, mines or yours, good luck with it.

Back