Building a Gaming Rig (very detailed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaUnknown

Yes, this summer I'm going to do my first build. since I've only experienced video & online guides i haven't gotten any 1st hand experience on builds, (Except for a Ram and Video Gard upgrade on my current retail system.) So I've just been gathering my shopping cart and getting it ready for this summer. The problem is i just need to make sure i have the right brands and equipment to play most games on high. My Goal in this thread is to fill in my "???" marks, gather any hardware or tools that i'm missing, and configure my list so that i would have a good setup ready for the summer. This may be fun for alot of you =].

My List So Far:

HDD: Seagate 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Video Card: XFX GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Optical Drives: ???

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Fan/Heatsink: ??? I don't even know what that is.

Last but not least....

Games:

I recommend the CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail over the one you picked.

I don't know what you mean by OOD either.
Case is going to hurt performance much, i would recommend going to newegg and picking out an ATX mid or full tower case that looks good. The Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail as a good midtower case.

You will probably need a CD/DVD drive, I recommend the Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-116DBK - OEM .

I would suggest going up to a P45, its almost the same thing, but I assume its more stable, and more performance orientated, especially if your overclocking. The ASUS P5Q SE/R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail, $94 USD and ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail, $96 USD are both great boards.

The heatsink/fan generally refers to the CPU cooler, sadly, I am not particularly familiar with those.

Hi,

As it's a gaming rig, I'd go for 2 drives - 1 for OS/Apps, 2 for games (makes easier defragging after updates, easier OS re-installations ... ). My choice would be Samsung, perhaps a fraction slower but quieter and (personal opinion) less likely to have problems.

Cheers,

Taff.

Not necessarily. If the effienciency of the 550W is higher than the 700W and it's more reliable, then the 550W would be better. Also, you have to look at the +12v rail to see how many Amps it provides.

I would not recommend a Samsung HDD, they are known to have problems. You are much better off with Seagate, or WD.

There is no need for two HDDs, you can just partition one for OS/Apps & Games.

Don't forget about an OS and DVD drive. :)

Don't forget about an OS and DVD drive.
Yes and you won't have a OS, monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers.
You will probably need a CD/DVD drive, I recommend the Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-116DBK - OEM .

The Seagate 640 and WD 640 are great.

I highly recommend considering a 4870 or 4870 1gb, and of course, dual cores are better for gaming.

If you're not building until the summer dont put a definately build together right now. So much will be replaced in May, the prices on the items you posted will drop, and more items will be at hand possibly for the same price.

you could get a simple google reference to find that out.

Ok, I googled the following phrases:-
"samsung hard drive problem" 6 hits,
"seagate hard drive problem" 579 hits,
"samsung hard drive problems" 8 hits,
"seagate hard drive problems" 2160 hits,
"samsung hard drive failure" 4 hits,
"seagate hard drive failure" 622 hits,
"samsung hard drive failures" 2 hits,
"seagate hard drive failures" 268 hits.

If you use the advanced search and select results from the past year, the results become more relevant to newer HDD technology.

they also tend not to perform as well as the main competitors of the hdd world.

I mentioned that previously.

(Currently using 3 PC's, #1 2x Seagates, #2, 2x Samsungs + 1 WDC, #3 (laptop) 2x Hitachis.)

Ok, I googled the following phrases:-
"samsung hard drive problem" 6 hits,
"seagate hard drive problem" 579 hits,
"samsung hard drive problems" 8 hits,
"seagate hard drive problems" 2160 hits,
"samsung hard drive failure" 4 hits,
"seagate hard drive failure" 622 hits,
"samsung hard drive failures" 2 hits,
"seagate hard drive failures" 268 hit

Yea I got similar results

What's a good brand for optical drives.

Among the Samsung drives, I really only recommend the SpinPoint F1 series. Everything else has better-performing equivalents for the same price from WD. The only reason I used to recommend Seagate was for their larger warranty coverage, but now since it is the same amount as on better-performing and quieter WD drives, there is no reason to recommend a Seagate drive.

Will my Rig be able to run Crysis on High? if not then whats the problem? And what are your opinions on the Video?

What exactly would be your definition of high, are you wanting higher resolutions with anti aliasing or just straight high settings.

Im looking to be set for high settings period, im a little bit worried that the XFX wouldnt be able to handle it, and im questioning the CPU

What's a good brand for optical drives.
like CD/DVD? What i mentioned above, the pioneer.

Im looking to be set for high settings period, im a little bit worried that the XFX wouldnt be able to handle it, and im questioning the CPU

I highly recommend considering a 4870 or 4870 1gb, and of course, dual cores are better for gaming.
Crysis hardly even take 90% of my 2.4 ghz dual core, again dual's are slightly better for gaming, and their a lot cheaper too.

You should be fine on Very High settings on Crysis and Warhead as long as you don't turn on AA and you don't push your resolution too high. What framerates are you looking for?

DVD Drive

As far as a DVD drive goes, I would recommend this over the Plextor. It's about $20 cheaper, and has the same if not better writing/reading speeds.

Your Rig

To begin with, I do not see anything concerning your OS. The OS will easily be one of the most expensive things you buy for your computer, and it also determines the type of hardware you're going to need or even be able to use. Your PSU and hard drive are fine, although you will need to know how to hook all of these up as they come OEM.

However, you seem to be paying quite alot for your video card and your processor. The particular CPU you have chosen is really not all that great, especially when compared to the cheaper Intel D processors that come with their own heat sink and fan. Concerning your video card, 896 DDR3 is not worth that much money although I am guessing you're getting that particular one because it comes bundled with those two games. In my opinion it would be better for you to get a Radeon HD 4870 since you're were willing to pay $230 for the other.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4405996&CatId=28

This video card will be more then enough, and some time in the future you could even add another if you really wanted although you'd have to get a different motherboard as yours only has on x16 slot.

Also, you may want to tell us what kind of budget you're looking at to help people get a better idea of what to recommend.

Yes and you won't have a OS, monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers.
Yeah I don't think anybody took notice of that...

4870 1gb is probably the only card where getting an upgraded amount of memory is actually worth it, the price just droped, the 1gb is about $200 now so its even more recommended.

Um, yes i think you should consider a core 2 duo e8400 alternative for under $170, quads only benefit under CPU intensive multimedia applications:
Crysis hardly even take 90% of my 2.4 ghz dual core, again dual's are slightly better for gaming, and their a lot cheaper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back