Building a new non-gaming PC - AMD x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xecutor

Hi Guys,

As the title is saying, I am in the process of building a new PC for my Bro-In-Law, but he is on a tight budget. This is what I have been able to come up with from tigerdirect.ca.

Yes, a key thing is that I am in Canada!

I really appreciate any feedback you can provide and if you have any recommendations, they're most welcome.

The catch in all this is that I must procure these parts in a 1 week window (max 1week 2 days), after which my bro-in-law is leaving for UK.

What do you guys think?

PS:

CPU is clocked at 3.0GHz
Mobo is SLI and a lot of expandability, but only on DDR2 (cheaper)
Corsair TwinX dual channel (2x2048) 4GB DDR2 clocked @ 800MHz
NZXT tempest case comes with all 6 fans incl.
PSU has manual switching to 230V for UK, and is SLI ready

Attachments

• Computer Build.jpg
    Computer Build.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 15
Rage 3ks build is better, but I would keep the faster processor if you can. In particular, the NZXT case is a bit of a waste.

On another note, make sure your finish his PC before he goes to the UK, as I just bought my X4 945 at trade prices and it was still just under $300.

Rage 3ks build is better, but I would keep the faster processor if you can. In particular, the NZXT case is a bit of a waste.

On another note, make sure your finish his PC before he goes to the UK, as I just bought my X4 945 at trade prices and it was still just under $300.

I agree, 04ihegba, Rage has a pretty awesome setup for me there.

Thank you Rage3ks! That is a very nice build :) I have only one worry is the shipping time for the online providers. Some say 1-2 business day air shipping; tigerdirect states on its website same-day-ship, but when I got my videocard. it was 1 week after I had placed the online order. Am I generalizing, or is this usual? TBH that's the only hold-back, otherwise, I will be broke in like 2 secs getting the new build (like now!) :p

A few differences that I have noticed, that will go along with the price differences (of course) are:

- Mobo is not SLI, but still very good with nice expandability
- PSU is 400W, but I was aiming for min 600W as my Bro-in-law will be upping the build w/ a new gen video card in UK next year
- Which brings me to the case being Mini-Tower; the case itself is great! I actually am feeling envious as my old build had a really crappy case! However, will newer GT200 cards fit in it?

- AWESOME find on the RAM! 1Ghz RAM for that price is really good! esp the low lat ones! Huge!!

- Again, AWESOME HDD find!! Thank you so much!

Im not complaining, but only bringing forth the differences in the builds and finding out how I will mix and match! I agree with you, 04ihegba, I will keep the faster processor as that will keep his PC alive for at least a good 3-4 years (depending on evolution of technology by then)!

Awesome help guys!

- Which brings me to the case being Mini-Tower; the case itself is great! I actually am feeling envious as my old build had a really crappy case! However, will newer GT200 cards fit in it?

The Antec 300 is an exemplary mid-tower case. It should house the GT200s just fine. :)

why ask for a non gaming build then be like there is no sli and he will be installing a gtx 200 series card next year next time you ask for help give the intent of the build better that way we can give you the system spec you need.

It WAS originally a non-gaming build, but I kinda "changed" his objective yesterday :p

He eventually said that he will be getting a new vid card in 2010... ^_^;;;

PS: Can anyone confirm about the shipping time from the websites Rage provided? Can I rely on them to get the parts within 5 days?

I can comfrim that newegg, at least in the US, is a very quick shipper. They have locations on both sides of the county to make things much faster. Id imagine the would have something similar in canada.

The other 2, I can not confirm.

you may want to check out resellerratings.com to see what other people have to say about those sellers.

You can view newegg.ca's review HERE

For a gaming build, change the PSU to the Corsair 650TX. It will handle any card just fine. The case should also fit a large card.

IMO, instead of getting the 940, grab the cheaper 920 instead. They're identical, with the 940 being only 200MHz faster than the 920. Go for the 940 if the price difference is $10-20 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back