Building a Potato Masher Clone Sort of

MAHESHSK

Iam trying to bulid a sort of clone of potato masher. I know its an old architecture and going for a second gen i5 would be good then again from where iam there is not much depreciation in value of pc parts .its hard to find good deals. and iam building for the fun of it .just a small confusion im not getting the i5 750 instead going for a x3430 4c/4t(9$) or x3440 4c/8t($28). which would be better . I have a 900p monitor . sometimes ill hook it upto my tv just for fun (1080p). which would be better. Processor will be from aliexpress. and want to know about over clocking them as well. Gpu has not been decided yet MB will be a Gigabyte h55.with 8gigs of RAM.GPU might be a 1050ti cause cant buy a new PSU only 1 6pin and 450 watts).
Sorry for the long question.

When I start a new "old" machine, I like to work from software I want to use. Primary is the GPU - and the choice of the GTX 1050 Ti is a very good one ( I like mine!).

On the motherboard..CPU should support no less than 3Ghz speed. 4core is fine. 8GB RAM is good. All of these components should be on the Qualified Vendor List (QVL).

Storage? HDD is 'ok', but an SSD for OS boot and game files would add a feeling of quickness to the system (might be a later upgrade as we watch memory prices come down). You mentioned 900p monitor - this improves the feeling of performance with only slightly lower perceived resolution. In the end it is all about pushing pixels.

Once you have defined your system, you can select your PSU. Based on the above, I would say 450 watts would be sufficient, but you should total wattage for 5v and 12v separately to be sure.

Overclocking? There are excellent forums for that - but I prefer to get a stable system and then just use it to DO stuff.

Good luck with your project!

Hey!
The 1050Ti is great card and it did not suffer from cryptomining so the price/performance ratio on this one is very good.
As for the cpu choice, the x3440 is pretty good. It can push around 3.5 to 3.6ghz speed overclocked with 1.3v. Check your local market for used but good quality PSUs. Those are way better then new but cheap ones. Also will help keep your electricity bill down a bit. Sometimes people sell their PSUs when the fans start to make noises. Don't worry too much and you can safely buy such PSU. If the fan dies you can very cheaply stick on top a normal case fan and it will work, important is that the PSU have good components inside. As Cycloid Torus said the 450W PSU should have plenty power for your system. In fact maybe lower power will be needed but I wouldnt call it comfortable. Oh, and I don't know much about overclocking Xeons, but I know that you need to make sure your motherboard will be able to overclock them - this info can be easily found on google.

Good luck!

Already have an Antec vp450 for PSU. ordered an x3430 from aliexpress waiting for it to come. Found a Gigabyte H55 Mobo and 8 gigs of RAM. Saving for a gpu.

Back