Bungie officially becomes part of the Sony family

Jimmy2x

Staff
Why it matters: Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) announced the completion of the Bungie acquisition on Friday, officially making them part of the gaming industry's great shakeup. Originally announced in January, the $3.6 billion acquisition gives Sony complete access to Bungie's resources, player base, and their already established ability to support multiple gaming platforms. Despite the acquisition, Bungie says they will retain creative license and continue designing and publishing their own games and content.

The completed acquisition throws SIE and Bungie into the ring with several other major industry acquisitions including Microsoft and Activision, Microsoft and Zenimax, and Take-Two Interactive's acquisition of Zynga. Bungie CEO Pete Parsons sees the acquisition as a big step forward, a sentiment seemingly echoed by Herman Hulst, the head of PlayStation Studios.

During the acquisition, fans of Destiny 2 and other Bungie-based titles were assured they had nothing to fear. Bungie will remain an independent subsidiary of SIE and won't be forced to drive Destiny or other titles into the dreaded "platform exclusive" category. Instead, Sony intends to leverage their newly acquired capabilities to enhance their own multi-platform offerings.

The company also claims it isn't anywhere near finished making moves into the PC and mobile gaming spaces. According to their annual investor day presentations, Sony anticipates that roughly 50 percent of their releases will be available via PC or mobile by 2025.

Permalink to story.

Bungie will remain an independent subsidiary of SIE and won't be forced to drive Destiny or other titles into the dreaded "platform exclusive" category. Instead, Sony intends to leverage their newly acquired capabilities to enhance their own multi-platform offerings.
We'll see what that actually means. I don't exactly take big companies at their (PR) word...

Ehhhh they have made two games in ten years. Destiny and Destiny 2. Destiny 2 is itself closing on five years old at this point and the oldest of news.

I know they have their fanbase but that Bungie appeal has certainly dwindled since their Halo days. I can only assume with the billions paid Sony have had a very good look at their upcoming projects and consider them to be promising.

So…, from originally Xbox with Halo, now over to Sony with Destiny. Meeeh.

Yes, I have no doubt that Destiny will remain on all platforms. What I have concern about is the growing lack of interest in Destiny itself. I am not a fan of the revolving content and find myself playing more Destiny 1 than 2 lately, as I just can’t get into the loss of the original content of 2 that I never got all the way through. Yeah, I’m a late bloomer, I get to playing games when I have time. Just finished my first walkthrough of Borderlands 2. And still getting through the last pieces of Destiny 1.

Happy with independence and I think Sony simply wanted to stop MS from additional acquisition. Additionally, Destiny is absolutely great from MP point of view and Sony needs this knowledge, to create more MP oriented title where shooting is simply a pleasure. Last one I really loved from their exes was Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 mp.
Destiny is great game but their storyline is lacking and not appealing to me enough. This is something Sony cooperation surely can improve.
For now, I'd stay with hell let loose and enlisted. Destiny simply doing way too many weird stuff, playing in 2 for some reason have same start as d1, and I already tired of its multiplayer even, if I think it is great. Chaleenge and team play in HLL is simply much better.

Bungie used to be a focused quality game maker. Marathon 2 Durandal was highly praised when it came out back then. And then some.

Not sure how it is now. Haven't been interested in Bungie nowadays.

Last edited:
So…, from originally Xbox with Halo, now over to Sony with Destiny. Meeeh.

Yes, I have no doubt that Destiny will remain on all platforms. What I have concern about is the growing lack of interest in Destiny itself. I am not a fan of the revolving content and find myself playing more Destiny 1 than 2 lately, as I just can’t get into the loss of the original content of 2 that I never got all the way through. Yeah, I’m a late bloomer, I get to playing games when I have time. Just finished my first walkthrough of Borderlands 2. And still getting through the last pieces of Destiny 1.
They didn't start with Halo. Haven't you heard of Marathon?

Happy with independence and I think Sony simply wanted to stop MS from additional acquisition. Additionally, Destiny is absolutely great from MP point of view and Sony needs this knowledge, to create more MP oriented title where shooting is simply a pleasure. Last one I really loved from their exes was Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 mp.
Destiny is great game but their storyline is lacking and not appealing to me enough. This is something Sony cooperation surely can improve.
For now, I'd stay with hell let loose and enlisted. Destiny simply doing way too many weird stuff, playing in 2 for some reason have same start as d1, and I already tired of its multiplayer even, if I think it is great. Chaleenge and team play in HLL is simply much better.
Uncharted 3's MP was mint, the power plays to even the games made it quite fun to play. KZ3 was also very well made for MP the warzone game mode was brillaint.

See I agree with many here already.
Halo.... And nothingness.
I'm trying to play thru all the halos now but I'm stuck on 2 cause it's so poor I can't bring myself to play more than 30 secs of it at any one time.
Bungie suck.
I mean what kinda world do we live in, when studio's can survive because of old glorys.
Oh wait. GTA series, CoD, BField.
I feel like we need to go back to that monetization post.

Back