Buying a new GPU

Tharbad

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a new GPU.
It'll have to be nvidia as amd drivers are not stable enough on my distro (I'm using Linux). Don't suggest dual boot please. I haven't touched windows since 2014.

My current config is:
Intel Core i7-3770k
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
32GB RAM
nvidia GTX 670 2GB
I have 3 monitors, 24'' each. Outputs: DVI or DisplayPort.

I play games on steam and gog. When playing strategy games I like to watch some movie on another screen but that no longer possible on 2018+ games such as Frostpunk, Surviving Mars, Kingdoms and Castles and XCOM2. Recently I also have problem with full-screen games like Warhammer Martyr.
So I've been thinking about buying a new GPU as it appears to be the bottleneck (Used nvidia console to confirm that) - Both GPU utilization and GDDR usage are around 100% usually.

I think that 8GB is my target and therefore I need RTX 2060 Super. Unless you have something to add? Please reply if you do.

Thanks

An RTX 2060 Super will be a perfect upgrade from the GTX 670 - hugely more capable, but also of a similar physical size and power requirements, so it should plug straight in. Couple of things to note, though:

(1) The 2060 Super requires an 8 pin PCIe power connector; the GTX 670 uses 2x 6 pins ones (based on the reference board designs, at least)

(2) The 2060 Super has 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 2x DP outputs; the 670 has 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DP (again, based off reference designs).

You may need to check your PSU to ensure it has the right connector to support the 2060, and if you're using multiple monitors, you may need to get a couple of adapters.

An RTX 2060 Super will be a perfect upgrade from the GTX 670 - hugely more capable, but also of a similar physical size and power requirements, so it should plug straight in. Couple of things to note, though:

(1) The 2060 Super requires an 8 pin PCIe power connector; the GTX 670 uses 2x 6 pins ones (based on the reference board designs, at least)

(2) The 2060 Super has 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 2x DP outputs; the 670 has 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DP (again, based off reference designs).

You may need to check your PSU to ensure it has the right connector to support the 2060, and if you're using multiple monitors, you may need to get a couple of adapters.
I was aware to number 2. And now am aware to number 1. Thanks!

Back