Buying new Power Supply

Sully54

I have a 9 yr old Desktop PC and my power supply is going out. The one I have is a modular style power supply. Is it required that I replace it with another modular power supply or does it matter?

Another question. The power supply that I am replacing is a Cooler Master 600w. I am looking at a Cooler Master Extreme II 725w as a replacement. The problem I'm having is that on the CPU connection on my MB is only 4 pin and the 725w has a 4+4 pin attachment. Looking on the Cooler Master website, it appears that this connection can be separated, but I am not sure. Does anyone know how this works?

Also, will the Cooler Master Extreme II 725W power supply be good with a Geforce GTX 650ti graphics card. I saw where someone had problems with the amps. I know nothing about that. I'm not using the gtx 650ti yet, but that is what I will be upgrading too shortly.
If my system specs will help, they are as follows: Custom built AMDX2 Dual Core 6000, 600W PSU, 500G HD, DVDROM, DVD Writer, 7-1 card reader, 3 front usb ports, 4 in rear. 7.1 Soundblaster audio, GeForce 8400 512 meg GPU/PCI Express. I have upgraded this system from WinXP to Windows 7 64 bit. Will be upgrading GPU to the GTX 650ti within a couple of months. Very important to get the right PSU before replacing the GPU. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4+4 means it can be separated and 725W is plenty.
Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I can get it thru Staples and not have you wait forever to get it and can return it without waiting forever for a replacement.

The CoolerMaster extreme series is of inferior quality; not recommended for a system that might be used for intensive purposes like gaming or CAD.

I'd recommend this one instead, if you haven't purchased another already.

Looking at the PSU OEM can save you a lot of time.
forget the '80+' certifications and look for a quality OEM such as

Seasonic
Flextronics
Super flower
Sirtec
Delta
Many brands will use more than one OEM and or change manufacturers.
Knowing the OEM is key. Some brands that you may have heard nothing but bad news about have quality units (Rosewill being a good example) with PSU models such as
Capstone, Hive,tachyon etc and offer a great PSU at a good price.

Back