Cadillac's 2021 Escalade will feature an 'industry-first' 38-inch curved OLED display

Polycount

Staff
Bottom line: We've seen some pretty fancy infotainment screens in modern vehicles, some of which even replace traditional instrument panels entirely (see the Tesla Model 3 for an example of that). However, Cadillac seemingly wants to outdo them all with its upcoming 2021 Escalade SUV.

The luxury carmaker today announced that the vehicle will feature a massive, curved 38-inch OLED display, with "twice" the pixel density of a 4K TV. For reference, that's significantly bigger than the average PC monitor, and it's about on par with some smaller living room televisions.

Of course, the exact form factor of this display is not known at the moment, so those comparisons may not mean much. It's 38 inches diagonally, but we're not sure exactly how tall or wide it will be. However, a brief teaser clip published on Cadillac's official Twitter account gives us a slight hint. You can see that below.

From what we can see in the video, it seems the company could be aiming for a full, dashboard-length screen. Still, it's hard to say, as the clip obfuscates a lot of critical details; likely intentionally.

Cadillac says it will unveil its 2021 Escalade -- not to be confused with the upcoming "Escalade-like" electric SUV -- during "Oscars week"; or February 4, 2020, to be more specific. The vehicle will launch later in the year.

We don't know any other specifics about this behemoth of an in-car display, such as what features it will have or whether it will support touchscreen input, but we'll certainly keep you updated if any new details come to light.

Masthead credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Car manufacturers decided that consumer is not happy paying $5000 to upgrade to the full MMI version, with a bigger panel that costs $20 to make, rather than the $8 version, so they are now changing it up to a $30 panel.

I $hit you not. For example, in Europe, Mercedes charges 5,000 euro just to swap the base instrumental panel to the one with 2x12" screens (in E-class). Those screens cost Mercedes about $25 to make, at most. Talk about evil margins and evil car manufacturers. Puts Apple's overcharge to shame.

"Straight lines are so last year."
Probably not the best way to market your cars. Cadillac exteriors aren't exactly known for their curves.

Just look at our 2015 S-class. These big displays are cool, but they aren't a big deal because one will pretty much be dominated by the Nav map and the other is just digital guages.

I tested an Audi Q7 with the virtual guage cluster and I did like the huge map display. But that's pretty much all you get.

The LAW doesn't allow you to use the display for anything else when you're driving.

I remember how I would use my mom's 2009 STS's display and 5.1 surround sound to watch DVD's in theater-quality sound. But you can't do it while driving - or in any way the driver can see it.

twice the pixel density of a 4K TV

That's a goofy-*** way of saying 8K resolution, unless they go all out and make this thing some kind of ultrawide/tall ratio to occupy a large portion of the dashboard.

New escalade spy photos look like a lincoln or overgrown xt6 so it'a dud already

Tell that to the Limo companies and the big families and the wealthy who are buying them.

Cadillac and Lincoln are a sign of "wealth"...even more so now that the pricing has floated to the $100,000 threshold.

And the XT6 is a very comfortable people hauler - just like my mother's XT5 - but more spacious.

My only problem is that right now, the XT4 has heated/cooled/massage seats and the XT5 / XT6 doesn't.

I'm waiting until they replace the entire windsheild with a double sided panel. The outside will display a picture, possibly fake, of the occupants looking outwards as if they are paying attention to the road.

Back