Call of Duty: Warzone attracted more than 30 million players in only 10 days

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Bottom line: In just a little over a week, Call of Duty: Warzone looks to be having a good run at wedging its way into the battle-royal market. Whether it is because it is really that good or just because there are a lot more people staying home looking for something different to play remains to be seen, but the numbers are looking good for cementing its place in the pack.

When Activision first announced its take on the Battle Royale genre with Call of Duty: Warzone, I had my doubts about how well it would do in what seems like an already oversaturated market. With Apex Legends, Fortnite, and PUBG doing well, it seemed like Warzone might struggle to fit in, but fit in it has and in a big way.

The free-to-play squad-based shooter had an incredible launch, attracting more than 6 million players on day one. It almost immediately saw a need for a more traditional battle-royale mode with players going at each other alone. So Infinity Ward and Raven released a patch with a “Solos” mode within a couple of days.

Now, 10 days in, the game claims to have hit 30 million players. Average daily growth has trickled down by 50 percent from its first day, but that is to be expected. It is still a respectfully impressive number that puts it on track hit about 50 million in its first month, which is about how well Apex Legends did in its first four weeks.

However, it has quite a way to go to catch up to Fortnite’s last count. As of March 2019, Epic reported that there were more than 250 million active Fortnite players, notes Business of Apps. Still, the Warzone is young, and by all rights, is fun despite a few weaknesses. It looks like it might find its piece of the pie.

Permalink to story.

Dont all games have a weakness, Warzone has no more weakness than Apex. Id say Apex has a lot more. The numbers/players keep dropping for them.

I never played Fortnite.

I play PUBG now and then when I get bored - but when it first hit Xbox, I played it regularly.

CoD Warzone is actually a really great game because if you get bored with the Warzone, you can play Plunder or just go back to Deathmatches.

What I love most of all is that I got it free when I bought a second RTX card.

The game is fast paced, it keeps the looting fun and it's despite the gunplay being easier than PUBG, it doesn't feel as cheap when you get knocked off.

I also enjoy the COD take on it where you get drones, armor plates and other COD tropes.

I download this game for ps4 thinking that it's a ftp game but it isn't since you need psn plus to actually play it. It boders me when they do that, they say it's free but you need psn plus. There is no way I'm spending that kind of money on something I don't even use!

I download this game for ps4 thinking that it's a ftp game but it isn't since you need psn plus to actually play it. It boders me when they do that, they say it's free but you need psn plus. There is no way I'm spending that kind of money on something I don't even use!
Yeah the game is F2P on PC, but all multiplayer PlayStation games require a PS Plus account. Sony has paywalled online gaming, which I don't really like. That said, the other perks of a Plus account make up for the subscription price, namely 2 (sometimes more) free games per month. I have an extensive catalog of both PS3 and PS4 games. Not all of them I am eager to play, but the majority I have played or plan to. Hah. Come to think of it CoD: MW was one of my freebies. :)

You don't need PSN Plus.

Never thought Id ever play a CoD game. Here I am hooked on Warzone. PUBG feels more survival like, but, it's so clunky, unresponsive and I suck at it. At least with CoD I can carry myself to a chicken dinner and win. Reminds me of Crysis 2, that was awesome while it lasted.

You don't need PSN Plus.
Then why I cannot access to the game, all modes are locked. I'll take a picture and post it so you can see what I mean. I didn't uninstall it yet, hoping there's a solution, for intance, I don't have such problem with apex legends.

Ever since battle royale genre became a thing I knew that if Call of Duty makes their version of it it's gonna be the best. They simply have the best physics and gunplay for that sort of game. After they released Blackout I got disappointed because they changed a lot of stuff I liked about it. MW looks much better but I can't get it to work since it crashes 2 minutes into the game every time I start it, ofcourse it does, it's Activision/Blizzard behind it.

I've played nearly all of the BR games, really like Apex but I may like this more. Played PUBG a lot but got tired at how slow it is. Warzone may be my favourite but it's too early to tell. Also, no interest in focusing on a game like this if there's a different one coming out the next year killing the population. Why support a battlepass then.

Back