Can connect to wireless network, but not to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - I have spent hours trying to figure this out with firefox and Apple to no avail. I have a home network with two computers. The cable modem goes to an Apple Airport extreme. To the Airport I have connected a USB hard drive, my desktop computer and an ethernet printer. Wirelessly I have connected a printer and my laptop.

I have been having problems with the wireless print router for a while. My recent problem is that my Toshiba Satalite laptop connects to the network with no problems, but I cannot connect to the internet. I have cleared the dns cache, I have reset the Airport, I have changed and re-change the security (wpa to wep and back again), I even discovered that I can ping google through the CMD.

I was connected to the internet without problems until two days ago, unexplicably, my laptop just wouldn't connect. The only thing I did was plug the new ethernet printer into the Airport. The desktop connected to the printer without trouble. I think it is just coincidence since I have tried unplugging the printer and still have the same issue.

My desktop is running XP pro and the laptop is running XP media. Help!

The default gateway (router IP address) should be present on all PCs that what gets you the internet access.
Under the XP boxes under Internet Protocol TCP/IP click on properties the click on advance and make sure the metric is set to router gateway address IP.

IP are set to automatic

The settings in the TCP/IP are set to automatically retrieve. Also, as I am writing this response, the computer has connected to the apple software site and is automatically downloading and installing updates. I think this means that I have internet access, I just can't browse with IE or Firefox. Also IM does not sign in. I can ping sites through the CMD prompt. Does this clarify or focus the issue? When I plug the computer in directly with ethernet I have the same problem.

jonviolin said:
The settings in the TCP/IP are set to automatically retrieve. Also, as I am writing this response, the computer has connected to the apple software site and is automatically downloading and installing updates. I think this means that I have internet access, I just can't browse with IE or Firefox. Also IM does not sign in. I can ping sites through the CMD prompt. Does this clarify or focus the issue? When I plug the computer in directly with ethernet I have the same problem.

If you get the same error when you connect through the modem the their could be a problem with the modem or from your ISP. Contact them and explain the problem you're having with the modem

Fixed!

For some reason, after apple downloaded and updated Quicktime, then the computer rebooted, now I can browse! No idea why, but I'll take it. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back