Can different OSs complete installation on HDD wont cause problems

fullscreen

Hi,
if window 10 HDD complete format and ubuntu install won't malfunction HDD and then formatting ubuntu and installing window 10
won't cause HDD malfunction.
thanks.

Each HDD needs its own "partition", for each OS you intend to install.

Windows, (without a doubt), will overwrite everything in its path during the install.

When you partition the drive (HDD or SSD), the computer will see each partition as a separate drive. So, Windows would go on "C:/" and Linux would likely go on "D:/".

Linux installs a "boot manager", which on boot up, asks you which OS you are choosing a launch.

In this instance, the easiest and most foolproof method to establish partitions, is to decide how much space you need for each OS, then format and partition the drive itself on a different machine. Then when you're going to do both OS installs, you're all set up and ready to go.

Since you're asking a question this basic, it would behoove you to seek the help of someone more experienced and familiar with the process

From what I understand from the question, you intend to wipe out Windows 10 from an HDD by installing Ubuntu.
Yes, you can do that and No it would not cause any malfunction.

Then you want to wipe out Ubuntu from the said HDD and install Windows 10 on it.
Yes, you can do that and No it would not cause any malfunction in the HDD.
I think you have his intentions backwards, at least from what I gathered from the post.

From what I understood, he wanted to install Windows 10 after (?) Linux.

Windows would have to go in first, then a partition created to install Linux afterwards.

FWIW, I don't think our TS has that experience and should seek help if possible.

You are correct in that installing Windows over Linux will wipe Linux out completely with no damage to the HDD.

What's not clear from the OP, is whether or not the TS wants to keep both OS.

At that point it becomes the "which came first, the chicken or the egg" conundrum....But I would venture a guess that Windows would be "the chicken".

Hi,
if window 10 HDD complete format and ubuntu install won't malfunction HDD and then formatting ubuntu and installing window 10
won't cause HDD malfunction.
thanks.

To answer the original question: It is safe to format and reformat your HDD with Ubuntu and/or Windows. That will not harm your HDD.

For dual boot you must install Windows first. I usually use Ubuntu Live DVD to partition and format the HDD, and then install Windows first.

Last edited:
Define HARM. If you mean can I keep my files -- ABSOLUTELY NO. Any formatting is by definition destructive to all existing data

Back