Can I use 64-bit Windows 7 on following computer?

robertq

Hi,

I have following System & I have been using Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit Version.

My question is can I install & use 64 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate on this system ?

If not why ?

Any pros & cons of 64 bit OS ?

Processor : Intel Pentum D dual Processor 3.00 GHz

RAM : 2.00 GB DDR

HDD : 500 GB + Second HDD : 500 GB

Video Card : 256 MB Radeon X600

Sound : SoundMAX Onboard Integrated Sound

Thank You

It largely depends on the motherboard and if Windows 7 compatible drivers are available from the manufacturer. Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and look up the driver downloads available for your motherboard. If Windows 7 compatible chipset, LAN and sound drivers are NOT listed, you will have trouble using Windows 7.

All Pentium Ds were 64bit, so yes, you can run it. Should you? Probably not unless you need to use more than 4GB of RAM. Also mailpup's concerns are valid.

i would say yes you should be able to use the x64 version of win7.
if you were able to install the x86 version without issues then i expect not much different for x64.

you processor is x64 enabled but it would be good to check if proper drivers are available before you dive into the adventure.

if you don't know what motherboard and exactly what processor you have you can use CPU-z.
CPU-z is available from the CPUID website.
i am unable to link to as my post count is too low

it will reveal all the information necessary

In addition to checking for compatible drivers, consider that moving up from 32bit to 64bit will require a fresh install, so a full version of Windows 7 is necessary. And if you're concerned about software compatibility, here's a good resource.

Back