Can not run notepad as 'Administrator' in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

I am using XP sp3 and am logged in as administrator. I need to run notepad as administrator. How when i try to do that I get the message saying

C:\Windows/system32\notepad.exe
The service cannot be started, either becuase it is disabled or because it had no enabled devices associated with it.

Maybe some service is disabled??? Need help please.

Tell us more. Are you on a network. It would be helpful to know your configuration and what has worked up until now.

Hi raybay. Thanks for your reply and my apologies for the late feedback....

Found the solution. I had to enable the Secondary Logon service. The problem was solved after doing that. Just thought I'd share the solution; in case other members can also benefit.

Regards.

NP and my pleasure.

Just after posting the above reply i did a google on the service and turns out that it is recommended to have this service disabled. Please see the shared links for details

Code:
http://www.digitalsupporttech.com/spdb/Startup/52548_Startup_Secondary_Logon_Service_Service_en-us.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/Secondary_Logon.htm

having your pc tweaked so much, has its dangerous "effects" or evenso..

all i can say is before disabling a thing in that config.. just know a lil background on the item.

I am using XP sp3 and am logged in as administrator. I need to run notepad as administrator. How when i try to do that I get the message saying

C:\Windows/system32\notepad.exe
The service cannot be started, either becuase it is disabled or because it had no enabled devices associated with it.

Maybe some service is disabled??? Need help please.
NP and my pleasure.

Just after posting the above reply i did a google on the service and turns out that it is recommended to have this service disabled. Please see the shared links for details

Code:
http://www.digitalsupporttech.com/spdb/Startup/52548_Startup_Secondary_Logon_Service_Service_en-us.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/Secondary_Logon.htm
This is very strange... Granted, anything can be possible with computers but
1) I can't think of any reason why notepad should be dependent on any service (let alone secondary logon)
2) To confirm it: I just disabled SecLogon on my XP SP3 machine, rebooted and i have no problem with notepad

Did you have a recent virus infection? Or you might want to get thoroughly checked as those symptoms sound (to me) as more likely symptomatic of possible malware.

I agree - possible infection.

Notepads executable is C:\Windows\Notepad.exe not C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe

Don't know what the problem is??? Does anyone remember the command which one can run after inserting the original XP CD. The only thing I remember about the command is that it checks/fixes basic files/associations of XP. I came across that somewhere but have totally forgotten it. It was something like inserting the original XP CD and then running a command from Start | Run...

Varies a bit among brand and model.
Home or Professional?
OEM, Dell, HP, Compaq, or Sony.
Usually, you cold boot to the CD, then get choices. You bypass some selections and look for R Repair. Do not select the earlier choice of R for Repair Console

Backup your data first, if you can. Make certain you follow the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference... repair.txt

a: Boot your computer using your XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order, or do a gurgle search.

b. Upon seeing the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see these options:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R. (YOU DO NOT WANT TO SELECT THIS CHOICE IN MOST CASES)

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

c. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. ( DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Keep going and you will later get another choice

d. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

e. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!

f. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

g. When not sure, don't select any, and do another cold boot to the CD until you are comfortable with the choices you are given, as restarting to a cold boot will not hurt anything.

This will get you started with most recovery CD's from Dell, HP, Sony, Compaq, eMachines, and so on... and for Home and Professional OEM versions. Some early versions of WXP without a Service Pack or with Service Pack 1 will be a bit different, but still will give you the R for Repair after you bypass the R for Repair Console.

Good luck,

Hi Morland :wave:

1) fyi... to manually change/fix file associations (in general) see here

2) To reset individual file associations see these tools

3) If you want to try restoring them all, you can try restoring from a System Restore point.

p.s. When did the problem occur? Again, this might be another symptom of malware activity. You might want to do the "8-steps" and post in Virus/malware section to assure you are clean

Notepads executable is C:\Windows\Notepad.exe not C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe
hmm; I have XP/Pro SP2 and find notepad.exe in both locations, of the same date, size, version ....

in addition programs->accessories->notepad points to %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe

This is very strange... Granted, anything can be possible with computers but
1) I can't think of any reason why notepad should be dependent on any service (let alone secondary logon)
strongly agree

Hi Morland :wave:

2) To reset individual file associations see these tools

p.s. When did the problem occur? Again, this might be another symptom of malware activity. You might want to do the "8-steps" and post in Virus/malware section to assure you are clean

Hi LookinAround :)

Hope you've been well. I honestly don't recall when the problem occured :(.

Thank you for sharing the excellent link (#2 above).

Home or Professional?

I have a sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E and am running XP Pro SP3 with all the latest updates

Home or Professional?
Usually, you cold boot to the CD, then get choices. You bypass some selections and look for R Repair. Do not select the earlier choice of R for Repair Console

Backup your data first, if you can. Make certain you follow the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference... repair.txt...
Good luck,

Thank you so much for taking the time and the detailed reply (only initial portion of which is quoted above. Your suggested solution might be just the right remedy but I'm a little nervous with it because of 1 concern (where i maybe be TOTALLY wrong). The concern is that I might end up with a pretty much new installation of Windows with 2 folders for Window and Program files and then going back to do it all over again. BUT you have also suggested a solution in your tip and probably I'll do that i.e. first take a image of my harddisk and then try your suggested solution and hopefully I'll do it right. You have emphasized on certain points (where to select which option etc. and I'll try to follow these when I try the solution.

I realize that it takes time to help out someone with such an elaborate reply/solution and this is very much appreciated.

Regards.

Hi Morland

A couple more comments

Running an XP Repair Install

raybay is suggesting a repair install. Should you ever want to do one you can get screen by screen instructions clicking here. However,
> IMHO i think a repair install is overkill when all you want to do is reset default XP file associations
> You should note: A repair install will reset all your XP settings so note it will also reset some customization settings you don't need to or don't want to reset!

Repair install is great when there's lots screwed up and then a "default ALL" reset may be the best way to go... but there are many other simpler and less invasive alternatives when all you need is to reset just your file associations

Resetting file associations
In fact, in addition to the link i sent you before (to reset individual file associations) here is a link for a batch file you can run to reset all of XP's default file associations. Note this only resets XP's file associations but doesn't reset ALL of XP's other settings as well (as would happen if you run a repair install)

A couple more comments
> IMHO i think a repair install is overkill when all you want to do is reset default XP file associations
> You should note: A repair install will reset all your XP settings so note it will also reset some customization settings you don't need to or don't want to reset!
You read my mind LookinAround because I was wondering if the problem could be (just me and a silly idea that came to mind) simply because of missing file associations. And the 2nd point in particular is a situation which I don't want to end up with (thought the image and all will be there for the rescue...

Should you ever want to do one you can get screen by screen instructions clicking here.

Thanks (as always) :)

Repair install is great when there's lots screwed up and then a "default ALL" reset may be the best way to go... but there are many other simpler and less invasive alternatives when all you need is to reset just your file associations
That's another point. If things get so much messed up then why not do a fresh installation rather than a Repair Install. My knowledge is limited but to me the Repair install feature is probably useless ????

Resetting file associations
In fact, in addition to the link i sent you before (to reset individual file associations) here is a link for a batch file you can run to reset all of XP's default file associations. Note this only resets XP's file associations but doesn't reset ALL of XP's other settings as well (as would happen if you run a repair install)
Now what do I say for such a great favour. Let's see. You are not only a Tech Evangelist but a very helpful person too. Thank you for all the help so far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back