Can not save presentation as .ppt in OpenOffice 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

I'm trying to save a slide show as a powerpoint presentation, but I am having some issues. When I select "Save As" there is no drop down menu to select the format I want to save it in. Under the "Load/Save Options" I have set Impress to automatically save as a powerpoint 1997/200 file, but that has not made a difference either. Thanks for any suggestions!

That's because OpenOffice can only read in MS Office formatted files but cannot save in MS Office formats. You must save them in OpenOffice format.

MS Office 2007 Home & Student version is now dirt cheap. Pay the small amount and buy it. Or save to OpenOffice format and use that.

-- Andy

Well, I've since rebooted, and now it works. Maybe the software needed to reboot for the changes I made to the settings to take effect. Thanks anyway.

I install OpenOffice for some of my customers. Often they just want an Office software package for their own use and the documents are not shared with others. So OpenOffice is free and I give it to them. But I know from my own experience and setting it up customers, that OpenOffice cannot save to MS Office formats. If you can, it's only because you didn't make a significant change. Once you alter enough formating, it promtps you that you must save it in an OpenOffice format. Yes, OpenOffice can read it any MS Office format, but it cannot save it to MS Office format once you've made significant changes.

Trust me, I do this all the time.

-- Andy

Thanks for the tip. I did not make significant changes after I saved it in open office format, and my only issue was converting formats, so this was not an issue this time. I probably won't be using OpenOffice anymore, since my computer with MS office should be up and running again this week.

it is my understanding, OO can read all MS formats, but it can only save in older .ppt formats not the newer type by MS. I rarely use ppt, but I do use the word processor and calc functions all the time.

it is my understanding, OO can read all MS formats, but it can only save in older .ppt formats not the newer type by MS. I rarely use ppt, but I do use the word processor and calc functions all the time.

In my experience, you can edit and save an MS document (.doc, .ppt, .xls) in OO only so much before it prompts you that it must be saved in an OO format.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back