Can we have add an audio section to the "TechSpot Core" forums

yRaz

I'm sure that as techies, many of us have highend audio equipment and home theaters to go with all our other cool gadets, I know I certainly do! It would be cool if we have a forum where we can discuss, brag and give advice to people who may want to build a high end audio setup to go with their PC.

I have a great deal of knowledge and experience with high end audio equipment ranging from the 70's(I own a pair of JBL 4311's) all the way to some more modern equipment. I'd be happy to contribute to said forum if it gets added. I spend a good bit of time on other audio forums but I consider techspot to be my "home" forum so I'd like to be able to share my experience and knowledge here.

I believe we used to have something like that at some point but it received little attention, so we condensed it all in the consumer electronics forum (which in itself is not too busy).

I believe we used to have something like that at some point but it received little attention, so we condensed it all in the consumer electronics forum (which in itself is not too busy).
🥺

Okay, so how about we have sometype of "cool sh8t" catagory where we can post battlestations, hometheater setups, workshops or just other cool tech related stuff that we work on. For example, my home server room or pictures of my ~$13,000 PC setup... or my "healing" bench where working things go to die because I'm curious about how the work. I can't be the only one with tech related cool sh*t!

A big thing on some of the AV forums I goto is people posting pictures of their setups, having "owner" threads. The TS forums are relatively inactive in general for how many members we have so it would take awhile for that kind of culture shift to take up.

Build a PC would be the place to do that. In general, there are forums that have focused on build showcases and do really well, but this forum was formerly heavier on tech support questions (which are less now than before) and commentary around our news coverage and features.

We'd love to revive some of the forum sections and activity but we feel that's more of an organic thing that happens (or not), even if we added dedicated sections for high-end audio or battlestations, I'm not convinced that would help generating those discussions when there are already good places to do so.

Build a PC would be the place to do that. In general, there are forums that have focused on build showcases and do really well, but this forum was formerly heavier on tech support questions (which are less now than before) and commentary around our news coverage and features.

We'd love to revive some of the forum sections and activity but we feel that's more of an organic thing that happens (or not), even if we added dedicated sections for high-end audio or battlestations, I'm not convinced that would help generating those discussions when there are already good places to do so.
So I was thinking about a way to "organically" drive traffic to the forums. Those Tiles on the front page could randomly show sometime of "don't forget to check out our forums" message on them to remind users that we do, in fact, have a forum. I mean, come up with a better message than that but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from.

I've been checking the forums a lot lately and will try post more just to drive traffic an activity to them. I know one person can't make a huge difference but I'm sure you know how much I like the sound of own key-strokes at this point.

I believe we used to have something like that at some point but it received little attention,
Perhaps re-titling to "Home Theater & Sound Systems", might be more well received. Home theater being more directly related to PC interests.

"Consumer Electronics" is (IMO) far too broad, as it could encompass everything from home EKGs to Ring doorbell cameras..

IIRC, several members have an interest in astro-photography.. So, "Digital Photography" might be another potential sub-forum..

At the end of the day, does it really matter if "X" amount of traffic is split between a conglomerate title, or several topic specific forums?

Personally, I would be more inclined to participate in topic specific conversations. (I know, I know, even as far off topic as I can occasionally stray).

Perhaps re-titling to "Home Theater & Sound Systems", might be more well received. Home theater being more directly related to PC interests.

"Consumer Electronics" is (IMO) far too broad, as it could encompass everything from home EKGs to Ring doorbell cameras..

IIRC, several members have an interest in astro-photography.. So, "Digital Photography" might be another potential sub-forum..

At the end of the day, does it really matter if "X" amount of traffic is split between a conglomerate title, or several topic specific forums?

Personally, I would be more inclined to participate in topic specific conversations. (I know, I know, even as far off topic as I can occasionally stray).
I think the power of suggestion would make people more inclined to participate.

Cranked my 4311's up and I can't hear now. Can we PLEASE get an audio forum so I can brag about this?

Helping those who want to crank up the volume annoying neighbours and fellow road users is not a great idea. Headphones are apparently not cool enough for some. Having said that, I have had frequent problems with selecting settings and cabling devices to play through various outputs. Headphones give me issues with my ears especially the in-ear variety. For older people and those with hearing difficulties there are major problems but unlikely to be worth a separate section. One of my triumphs was the discovery of the Sony neck speaker a couple of years ago. I came across it by chance and it had to be bought from across the Pond.

Helping those who want to crank up the volume annoying neighbours and fellow road users is not a great idea. Headphones are apparently not cool enough for some. Having said that, I have had frequent problems with selecting settings and cabling devices to play through various outputs. Headphones give me issues with my ears especially the in-ear variety. For older people and those with hearing difficulties there are major problems but unlikely to be worth a separate section. One of my triumphs was the discovery of the Sony neck speaker a couple of years ago. I came across it by chance and it had to be bought from across the Pond.
This entire spiel amounts to a big, fat, "spare me". If you need a point rebuttal, fool free to post back.

I’m guessing you disagree with me which is reassuring. “fool free” - maybe that’s “feel free“- easy mistake when you jump straight in.

I’m guessing you disagree with me which is reassuring. “fool free” - maybe that’s “feel free“- easy mistake when you jump straight in.
I posted what I thought was a harmless joke the other day. One of my "fans", went on to accuse me of "projecting", and "generalizing". So,was that a typo, or a Freudian slip? We'll never know.

As for ME cranking up MY audio system, lets examine your POV on a point by point basis. (But first note that "neighbours" is spelled, "neighbors"). in American English, so I take it you're not from around here).
Helping those who want to crank up the volume annoying neighbours and fellow road users is not a great idea.
I live in what could be loosely be described as a "ghetto", and am the last "Caucasian on da blok". I can assure you my "neighbors", have little to no consideration for my "civil rights", to the extent I have to stop them from selling crack and heroin off my front steps, The things I can't stop are them from is selling all manner of drugs in the general area, having gunfights which blow out all the windows in my car, or dead people being dragged out of houses due to overdoses. Oh, and then there's the sub woofers with 2000 watt amps, mindlessly pumping out 30 Hz bass from rhythm boxes. I liken it a male gorilla pounding on its chest as a signal of "dominance and fearlessness", as there's not much "intellectual content below about 200 Hz or so. Then there's the lyrics to "gangsta rap", which in all reality, sound like a bad ghetto soap opera.

Then there's "modern man", addicted to cell phones, mindlessly marching down the street, ears plugged up, oblivious to his (or her) surroundings. Today's man on the street looks like something out of Metropolis, but with earbuds, pumping out 128 Kbs mp3 garbage at deafening levels. It's nice though, as no one else is affected.

You should really give this a read: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51233
Headphones are apparently not cool enough for some.
No, headphones are annoying, even comfortable, high quality models
One of my triumphs was the discovery of the Sony neck speaker a couple of years ago.
Sounds like you've surrendered to, "the yoke of oppression". 🤣:rolleyes: I wouldn't exactly describe that as a "triumph".

As for my rig, I keep the computers separate from my AV equipment, preferring standalone DVD, Blu-ray, and CD reproduction..

I live in a row house. I have a vacant lot one one side, a slum lord's rental property on the other. Out of consideration for him, I have located my stereo centrally in the house, and did my level best to add sound abatement to the wall adjoining his property to the extent of fiberglass insulation, sound deadening board, with an extra layer of Sheetrock on top. I can turn on my rig in the middle of the night, listen at 90 db or so, and you can't hear more than a whisper coming.out of the closed front door

The sound control measures I've implemented have the added advantage of me not having to listen to my neighbor scream and yell at, or beat up, his girlfriend / supposed wife.

IMO, you should be aware of others physical situations, before you start inflicting some politically correct, "woke bullsh!t", that coincides with your situation. Much less try to prevent others from discussing a hobby they heartily enjoy

@bazz2004
Look, there is something to "feeling" the music, so when I burnt out the crossovers on my 4311's, I was able to feel it. That punch in your chest that you get? That's worth paying for. It's why I had my 4311s at 117db and my car at 122. And if I knew where you lived I'd rattle your windows at 2am.

But, please, tell me how your headphones are a better experience than my $10k stereo that is literally still used to master the music you listen to your headphones on. If I want to crank it I can but mostly, I listen to it at a level that isn't annoying to my neighbors. You will never get my listening experience

Oh, and then there's the sub woofers with 2000 watt amps, mindlessly pumping out 30 Hz bass from rhythm boxes.
I have 5000 watts in my car and my 2, 4311's I have powered by 2, 200watt monoblocks are still louder than most system I hear and most definitely clearer. My car is mostly something I did as a joke when I was a kid and just kept it.

Both car and home audio get uncomfortably loud before I can even crank it.

Last edited:
Back