Cannot click items in taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKahuna

I cannot click on any items in my taskbar. When I rightclick on an item it brings up the options for the taskbar (lock/unlock, properties, etc...). There are also three blue boxes that I cannot click or see what they are. Does anyone know what this problem and/or know how to fix this? I have done system restore and rebooted and I still get the same thing. Thanks

Check into spoof or malware. Your desktop background could be a snapshot of an old desktop. Attempt to open a few seldom used programs. It the taskbar icon matches, then I am wrong about the malware.

Keyboard "alt+tab" for each press of 'tab' while holding 'alt' will cycle through the programs open on the taskbar.

There may be other jiffy tests.

Could be malware. Click on the red text in my sig follow the steps then post a link to the new thread. Dont forget to attach the 3 files

Hijackthis
MBAM
ComboFix

i am the only one who uses this pc so i know its not a snapshot of the desktop. I cannot even see the icons by the clock on the taskbar. there are repeating arrows in the taskbar. the arrow that is used to expand the taskbar. i dont know what is going i scanned the pc with avg and whatever was on the pc is now gone.

Ok, But if you think that your computer is clean you can be wrong there can be other thing that can be missed.

I used AVG im not sure if thats the best to use but when i scanned with with AVG only one thing came up, i am using superantispyware and more things are coming up so im not saying im right or youre wrong but i am trying what you guys are saying

When I rightclick on an item it brings up the options for the taskbar (lock/unlock, properties, etc...)

A right click brings up a Context menu. A left click is to open. What users refer to as the Taskbar is actually a 'bar' with sections:
Start button
Quick Launch Toolbar: this holds shortcuts for frequently used programs and apps. IF there are more shortcuts than can fit, double chevrons >> indicate additional shortcuts which can be shown by clicking on the >>.
Taskbar: Active and minimized Windows are shown here> a left click brings them up. A right click allows Close, Maximize or Restore
Notification Area: holds icons for programs and apps that started at boot. Also include clock, volume and network icons. Can be set to 'always show icons', 'never show icons' or 'hide when inactive.' If there are more icons then can fit in the area given, double chevrons >> indicate there are additional processes that can be viewer by clicking on the >>

What exactly are you having the problem with? Where are the 'blue boxes' you mentioned located on the Taskbar? Which section?

i am having trouble with the notification area. the only thing i can see is the clock everything either has boxes or arrows and blurred out.

Right click on the Taskbar> Properties> Notification Area> check 'hide inactive icons'> Customize> set all to 'hide when inactive' EXCEPT Volume, the network icon and the AV icon> OK> Apply> OK.

When you choose Customize, you will see a list showing "Currrent items" and below it, "Past items."

Reboot the computer. Is that better? If you think anything is missing that you want to see, go back and change it to 'always show'..Remember, the more you have starting at boot, the more icons will be in the Notification Area. To control that:
Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything EXCEPT the AV program, firewall, touchpad of laptop and network process is on network. Noting else needs to start at boot.

Reboot again. What is the status of those three mysterious blue boxes? The chevrons >> should be gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back