Cannot delete .exe file process in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I recently downloaded a program called geogebra which is basically a childrens learning tool, basically my lecturer sent me a program he had set up on it a .ggb file.
I had a little trouble opening it at first and set it to a .exe file (Big mistake) now its an application and i cant do anything with it.

Ive read some previous posts to similar problems and attempted their solutions but none have worked

ive entered "del C:\DOCUME~1\User\INCOMP~1\Desktop\RAYDIA*" into windows command and it says "The process cannot access the file because it is been used by another process"

I cant find it in task manger to stop it and im worried im going to have this file on my desktop forev

Can anybody help me?
Thanks

Boot to Safe mode.

A File in use does not mean it has to be a program and running, which only running programs show in Taskmgr.

Left Drag mouse and Copy for Pasting all text in the box below. Make sure the slider bar goes to bottom from the @ to the end of the second exit.

Then paste to the black screen of an open command prompt.

Code:
@echo off
cd\
attrib -h -s -r RAYDIA*.* /s
del /f RAYDIA*.* /s
exit
exit

Answer yes if prompted!

Mike

Thanks for replying Mike

It didnt work im afraid.
I may have done it wrong.
I went to start-run then entered cmd and pasted the text there. After a moment I saw a glimpse of cannot delete file because it is been used by another process. Before the window closed.

Did you boot to Safe mode?

Start-Run
type in run command
cmd
hit enter or click OK

Now paste directly to the black screen should read C:\Documents and settings\(your logon name).

Mike

You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now do the uninstall in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs or the delete of the .exe file.

If problem persists, use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove files:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

The code worked in safe-mode although I couldnt for the life of me find what process was trying to use it.
Never mind its gone now.

Thanks for the help much appreciated

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back