Cannot find local disk C: under My computer only in disk Managment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi first off I want to say thank you for helping in advance. In order for me to get to local disk C I need to go my computer manage disk management and Its there. I can not run a defrag either. I am tring to free space on my drive . And can not for the life of me figure it out any ideas?

Easy path to the Local Drive:

Right click on Start> Explore> My Computer> Local Drive (usually C)

To run the Error check or defrag> right click on Local Drive> Properties> Tools> here you will find both Error Check and defrag.

Does that help?

Easy path to the Local Drive:

Right click on Start> Explore> My Computer> Local Drive (usually C)

To run the Error check or defrag> right click on Local Drive> Properties> Tools> here you will find both Error Check and defrag.

Does that help?

Ok no it dosent what I ended up doing is downloading tweak UI which placed the C;drive back but I can not run defrag still says that a chkdsk needs to run. I have tried everything.

You should always run the Chkdsk (error check) before a defrag. You can choose to have it both scan and fix

You don't need to go into Computer Management to run the error check:
Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt
1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. Use one of the following procedures:
* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
OR
Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures:
* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
For more information about Chkdsk, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:

* Chkdsk:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491071.aspx (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491071.aspx)
* Running Chkdsk to repair file systems:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457122.aspx

Ok no it dosent what I ended up doing is downloading tweak UI which placed the C;drive back but I can not run defrag still says that a chkdsk needs to run. I have tried everything.

You also need 15% free space on your drive before defrag will give good results (it needs room to work for itself as well!)

After chkdsk:
- You can use CCleaner to delete alot of temp and junk files you don't really need
- Also try using Jdiskreport. An excellent way to visualize where your disk space went (and find space again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back