Cannot scan from computer to printer?

pw2much

I have a HP Officejet j4680 aio injet printer and I'm not able to send a fax or scan from the software HP Solution Center to the printer it keeps telling me that a software component was not found or was not installed properly and that I should re-install the Photosmart Essentials 3.5 software and try to scan again but every time I re-install the software I still cannot scan or fax.I have done this numerous times and still cannot figure out what is causing it to fail or what software component is missing.Does any one have any idea what is causing this scan failure from my pc?

Firstly, I don't have the same printer as you do, but I did have similar problems with installing a HP G2710 scanjet scanner. I believe it's down to not having the correct drivers, (the disc supplied was for XP and Vista) and I am using '7'.
After a lot of trial and error, I got it to work by doing the following.
(You might be able to adapt this to your software.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
*Uninstall your HP driver, then;
1) Copy HP CD to a new folder on C:\ drive.
2) Open that folder, right-click on "hpzsetup" then choose "Troubleshoot compatibility"
3) Choose "Troubleshoot program"
4) Choose "Vista Sevice Pack 1"
-----------------------------------------------------------
The general idea might do the trick for your situation and setup.
Another idea I found that works, is that I can launch the scanner from the program called "Faststone image editior" , "File", "Scanboard". That worked, when the HP shortcut on the desktop would fail.
Lastly, I think I saw a Windows 7 driver available now for my scanner so there is a good chance these problems will get sorted out in time.

the Twain scan and the HP Scan Flow Manager are not working or not installed on my computer anymore the Twain scan is a windows feature! can someone tell me how to redownload a Twain scan?

Sorry i don;t have a good answer to your problem but i do have some info that maybe might help

Twain vs. WIA
Twain was the original "interface standard" for scanning. Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) was developed by M$. HP software should support both.

On XP, i know i have the choice between choosing between Twain and WIA. WIA should come as part of Windows 7. (next time i boot my machine into Win 7 i'll see what choices it provides for W7 and update this post)
> Have you run all the Windows updates for your machine?
> And many HP printers they offer both a "basic" and "full feature" install. Did you try installing the full feature?? (i found their "full feature" version has lots of extra crap but sometimes that's the one i've found needed for scanning to work)

Also i found there's a Twain v2.1 available on the Twain org website HERE says it supports Win 7. (I've never tried it so have no personal knowledge about it)

Also, by chance, do you have M$ Office installed? or other other document processing software? I've sometimes also found
> Using the MS Office Scanning tool sometimes worked when HP didn't
> Or in Word, you can try click Insert->Picture->From Scanner

There are a lot of older scanners that are not supported by win 7 unless in XP mode due to lack of drivers. I have this issue myself. So either go into XP mode and scan there and save the scan, or you'll have to use a dedicated XP system.

There are some unresolved problems with HP scanners.

Visit the HP Support site. There appear to be some work arounds.

Back