Can't access the Internet

dexterdoo

My laptop won’t access the internet with Firefox or Internet Explorer even though it says the connection is “Excellent”. I’ve lost count of how many hours I’ve spent and things I’ve tried but nothing has worked so far. I removed a rootkit virus and some malware. Now everything checks ok. I also ran a winsock repair program but still all I get is “The page cannot be displayed”. I did an ipconfig /all and compared the info with my other working laptop and the numbers were the same on both! I’m using a 3COM PCMCIA Ethernet card which appears to be working properly. I bet an IT person could get this working in a coupla minutes …….. %^#$&)$^*+!! I'm burned out! What could I be missing??

Click start > run (this is the search box for Vista and Windows 7) > type inetcpl.cpl > press enter. In Internet Properties click on the Connections tab > LAN settings button. Place a check mark in the box to Automatically detect settings. Remove any check in the box to use proxy settings if one is present. Click apply > Ok. Attempt to connect to the internet.

Thanks for the reply. Did your procedure but still won't connect! ;-(
Where would you go from here??

I Forgot to mention, I have XP Pro w/ SP2 since I can't connect to upgrade to SP3.

Just to be sure there are not any strange options set in your Web browser, go to;
Tools, Internet options, Advanced tab, Reset.
Can you get a connection to the net by using an Ethernet cable? Even the default settings should allow that.
It's also just possible that you don't have the correct drivers for your 3com card.(?)

I did reset IE though, but as I stated, it's not connecting with any browser nor with ethernet or usb wireless adaptor. Also even though Device Manager shows the 3Com card is working properly, I reinstalled the drivers. No change! 2 days now and still haven't solved this ......... ;-(

I would aim to get the PC connected through an Ethernet (Cat5) cable first, so in your BIOS ,'On-board devices', 'Integrated NIC'.... check it's enabled, then F11 to save and exit. Check if that connects.
Might also be worth, running chkdsk /f to see if there are any problems Windows can sort out itself.

I ran chkdsk /scannnow but it didn't help but I just found out that I can connect in Safe Mode with Networking!! I wonder if this narrows the search for an answer?

It's a start! At least proves the pc can connect.
Bios settings about 'Integrated NIC' enabled?
Any chance you have changed any Services status?
In msconfig, General tab, select 'normal startup'.

Nothing in the BIOS about the NIC. Computer set for Normal Startup. I did write down the services that were running in Safe Mode and stop all except those in Normal Mode but it didn't help. Still only connect in Safe Mode????

mike1959 said:
Just to be sure there are not any strange options set in your Web browser, go to;
Tools, Internet options, Advanced tab, Reset.

I did reset IE though, but as I stated, it's not connecting with any browser nor with ethernet or usb wireless adaptor. Also even though Device Manager shows the 3Com card is working properly, I reinstalled the drivers. No change! 2 days now and still haven't solved this ......... ;-(

Resetting IE is not the same as Restoring Advanced settings via Internet Properties > Advanced tab. I believe that is what Mike was asking you to do although I may be wrong. Nevertheless, it seems you are now able to connect using an Ethernet cable. If this is correct please verify.

Also, you stated you used a winsock repair. I can only assume you used LSPFix. Be advised that just because an entry shows in red does not necessarily mean the entry is bad. Using a winsock repairing software should only be done under the supervision of a trained tech.

Click start > run > type cmd > Press Enter. On the command line type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks > Press Enter. This will reset the winsock just in case the wrong entry had previously been removed.

Finally, even though there are no errors showing in device mgr you may need to uninstall then re-install your wireless card. I have seen many times this resolves an issue such as yours.

Back