Can't delete backup file created in XP, now I run Windows 7

Hi, I had a laptop Vaio, windwos XP home edition and before crashing for good I manage to have all data saved on external hard drive. Now I have a new HP, Windows 7, processor A8 and when I try to trim the backup data I can't delete anything from it. The delete button just doesn't work and right click dosen't show delete option. The data is huge I need that space.Thanks.

Have you tried to format the drive through Disk Management? Formatting will erase everything on it. This assumes you don't still have anything on the external drive you want to save.

The drive has 500gb, I would like to keep all other files from external drive I previously had on it and some from the backup.

If Rabbit01's suggestion doesn't work, you could try saving the rest of the data off of the hard drive temporarily and then try reformatting the external drive.

# rabbitt01 thanks for sharing with me, all good now, the delete option is available and I can keep what I like. No need for formatting. Thanks all for you time!

Back