Inactive Can't download anti-malware because my Internet won't work

Hi...I have a virus on my computer - trojan horse hider.oow in system 32 netbt. I have AVG 2012 and it has whitelisted it. I also have malwarebytes but it is 90 outdated.

I have read to download avast and gmer. My question is how do I download them if I can't get on the internet on that computer? Is there a program I can buy at a store that will take care of it?

Thank you very much.
Denise

Welcome to TechSpot, Denise.

Malware is know to prevent the internet connection frequently. In that case, we tell you to download the programs to a flash drive(USB drive). Then connect the drive to the problem computer and run the programs on that.

This is what we like you to do: Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
==================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.

If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================

Thank you Bobbye.

I removed AVG and Malwarebytes. I installed Avasti and reinstalled Malwarebytes from your link. I couldn't figure out how to get the update on the zip drive though. The log is below. Then I ran GMER. However, my computer shuts down before the scan is complete. It says there was a critical error. When I click on the technical info it says:
Error Report Contents
C:\docume~1\Home\Locals~1\Temp\\Wer82cd.dir00\mini122811.01dmp
C:\docume~1\Home\Locals~1\Temp\\Wer82cd.dir00\sysdata.xml

I also copied below from GMER. Not sure if this is usable info to you.

Thank you so much. Denise

GMER 1.0.15.15641 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit quick scan 2011-12-28 05:58:10
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP2T0L0-5 ST3250310AS rev.3.AHC
Running: 0h1xvl54.exe; Driver: C:\DOCUME~1\Home\LOCALS~1\Temp\fwxcakob.sys

---- System - GMER 1.0.15 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSnx.SYS (avast! Virtualization Driver/AVAST Software) ZwEnumerateKey [0xB51EEBDA]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSnx.SYS (avast! Virtualization Driver/AVAST Software) ZwEnumerateValueKey [0xB51EEA45]

Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ZwCreateProcessEx [0xB526B7A2]
Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ObInsertObject
Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ObMakeTemporaryObject

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Device \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software)

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat fltMgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7622

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

12/27/2011 2:46:35 PM
mbam-log-2011-12-27 (14-46-35).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 249878
Time elapsed: 13 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Don't worry about GMER. As for Malwarebytes, we'll run it again later in a Full Scan after we hopefully restore the internet connection. But using our link should give you the latest version- but the one you ran is not.

Are you running DDS now? There are 2 logs from that. Both get pasted in, neither gets zipped.
===================================
After DDS, please go ahead and run Combofix> Please read the note about not getting the Recovery Console when using a flash drive.

Please note: If you have previously run Combofix and it's still on the system, please uninstall it. Then download the current version and do the scan: Uninstall directions, if needed
  • Click START> then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
--------------------------------------
Download Combofix from HERE or HEREhttp://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe and save to the desktop
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. It is recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode if needed.
    **Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
    ***Please note: if you have downloaded Combofix to a flash drive, then run it on the infected machine> the Recovery Console will not install- just bypass and go on.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
  • Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:
    The Recovery Console was successfully installed.
  • .Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware
  • .If Combofix asks you to update the program, allow
  • .Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
  • .Close any open browsers.
  • .Double click combofix.exe
    cf-icon.jpg
    & follow the prompts to run.
  • When the scan completes , a report will be generated-it will open a text window. Please paste the C:\ComboFix.txt in next reply..
Re-enable your Antivirus software.

Note 1:Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
Note 2: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.
Note 3: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell your helper.
Note 4: CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.
Note 5: If you receive an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", restart computer to fix the issue.
=================================
This Trojan also has a Backdoor with it. So it's possible that we can remove the entries that are found, but that does not guarantee that the machine hasn't been compromised. This Trojan is also know to prevent the internet connection when cleaning.
===============================
New Holiday Notice! I will not be working on the threads Sat. Dec. 31 or Sunday Jan. 1 I will begin with the oldest threads first on Monday. I will do my best to get you finished or as far along as I can before that.

Please do not send a PM during those days.

Back