Can't download youtube videos

circusboy01

(hope this is the right forum)
When I try to download youtube videos to Realplayer by clicking download this video in the upper right hand corner, it goes through the whole process, but when it's finished it shows "failed to connect"
When I first open youtube a message "Flash plugin has crashed" flashes for about 2 or 3 seconds. Is that the problem? If so. How do I fix it?
You tube opens up in FF so I tried downloading AFP again in FF. Didn't fix problem.
Tried updating to latest version. Already had latest version. So. that didn't help either.
I have VDH but it has stopped working Please help. Thanks

Got a link for the video?

Not sure if you mean Youtube link. where the video is coming from, or Real Player link where the video is going to.
Truth is I'm sure they both have links. But . When I download something, this includes Youtube, and Real Player, the first thing I do is put a short cut on my desktop. About the only time I have anything to do with links is when I click on one that somebody sends me (usually you;0) )

Where is the link to the video? Some videos won't download regardless.

If I'm remembering correct, you aren't too familiar with You tube or Real Player.

Here is how it's supposed to work. Open youtube. Type the name of a song in the search window. A list of videos for that song will show up Click on the one that you want, and it will start playing. If you want to download the video, hover your your mouse arrow over at the top right hand corner of the video. "Download this video" will pop up. click on it. If things are working right it will download that video to Realplayer, and whenever you open Realplayer it will be there.
There is really no finding links involved

Not sure if you mean Youtube link. where the video is coming from, or Real Player link where the video is going to.
Truth is I'm sure they both have links. But . When I download something, this includes Youtube, and Real Player, the first thing I do is put a short cut on my desktop. About the only time I have anything to do with links is when I click on one that somebody sends me (usually you;0) )
I'm talking about the link to the video you were trying to download.

If I'm remembering correct, you aren't too familiar with You tube or Real Player.

Here is how it's supposed to work. Open youtube. Type the name of a song in the search window. A list of videos for that song will show up Click on the one that you want, and it will start playing. If you want to download the video, hover your your mouse arrow over at the top right hand corner of the video. "Download this video" will pop up. click on it. If things are working right it will download that video to Realplayer, and whenever you open Realplayer it will be there.
There is really no finding links involved
When I download a video from youtube, I click on the upside down pyramid on the video download helper & save the video where I want it. 99% of the time I play the video in VLC . Too many problems with RP.

O.K. I went through the procedure, as I explained it in post 7,to see if I could find any links. Just like I thought there was none. However I did find something that is either new, or I just didn't notice it. When the "thing" ( My Tech, terms leave a lot to be desired. ;0) comes up that shows the progression of the recording. On the top is a small banner that says " Download videos from Web Link" When you click on it it has a place where you can put in a link.
I would love to try it. I think it might solve my problem. But where do I find the links to these videos?

When I download a video from youtube, I click on the upside down pyramid on the video download helper & save the video where I want it. 99% of the time I play the video in VLC . Too many problems with RP.

I think I told you my VDH stopped working, or that's what I would use. I even tried reloading it
(or whatever the proper term is,) a couple times. Once using Google, and once using FF. When I do the little colored ball start moving around just like they should. But. When I go to YouTube and start watching a video the ball are as grey, and still as a tombstone.

You say too many problems with RP the only problem I have ever had is this recording thing, and I'm not really sure if it's a RP problem, or a YT problem.

When I used YTD ( before "should I remove it." started showing it as a bad program) I had to copy, and paste the videos URL. is that the same as the link?

Just tried putting in a URL to a video. Looks like it's not the same as the link..
Going to try another URl, to see if I can find a drop down box.

Last edited:
When I used YTD ( before "should I remove it." started showing it as a bad program) I had to copy, and paste the videos URL. is that the same as the link?

Just tried putting in a URL to a video. Looks like it's not the same as the link..
Going to try another URl, to see if I can find a drop down box.
The URL/link to this thread is https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-download-youtube-videos.207109/#post-1442411
A youtube link to a song would look like this

The link to the video is in the same place the link to ANY website is. Look in the URL place on your browser. Right click it & in the drop down menu click copy & paste it in here. :)
I have found the link to
This https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/?src=search is the video download helper I've had & used for many years with no problems. If the video I'm downloading won't download, I'll bookmark the video, X out & go back & try again,if it still don't, it won't. Not ALL videos will download.
Link took me to the exact same place I got my VDH from.

Learnin; I'm going to email you Too much stuff, and it's doubtful that any of it would be of benefit to anyone else here.

O.K. I went through the procedure, as I explained it in post 7,to see if I could find any links. Just like I thought there was none. However I did find something that is either new, or I just didn't notice it. When the "thing" ( My Tech, terms leave a lot to be desired. ;0) comes up that shows the progression of the recording. On the top is a small banner that says " Download videos from Web Link" When you click on it it has a place where you can put in a link.
I would love to try it. I think it might solve my problem. But where do I find the links to these videos?
Look at the top of your firefox brower & you'll see the link in that looong rectangular bar at the top.
In techSpot it looks like this
Capturelink.JPG

You talking about the video link? It works fine for me.
Yes the link right above the video with Jesus. Is that the link to that video? Because it's not necessary. The video is already there, and I just have to click on the arrow in the center, and it will start playing. So I thought it was a link to something else.

Yes the link right above the video with Jesus. Is that the link to that video? Because it's not necessary. The video is already there, and I just have to click on the arrow in the center, and it will start playing. So I thought it was a link to something else.
When you post a link to a song, it turns it into the video as you see it regardless

Back