Can't hear anything after recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

Using onboard audio, and the recorder that came with it, and when i record, i save the file and i don't hear anything. I have something called: 8-channel (7.1) high-definition, by realtek.

I gather a sound card will fix this problem, but why isn't onboard working with recording?

"You can't hear anything" meaning ONLY a recorded file? You mean you can hear other stuff?

You're running Vista, if i recall?

Here's a couple things to know (
1) In Vista, look in the Sound Control Panel. Under Advanced Properties (for at least the microphone if not both microphone and speakers) Look for a check box option about "Allow exclusive use" and make sure it is unchecked (otherwise the first app that comes along can grab the mic and/or speakers and prevent other apps from using it)

2) Check your audio playback device setting. Here's an easy way to change it

/* EDIT */
And do you know if it;s a mic recording or a playback issue? can you play the recorded file on anything else?

"You can't hear anything" meaning ONLY a recorded file? You mean you can hear other stuff?

You're running Vista, if i recall?

Here's a couple things to know (
1) In Vista, look in the Sound Control Panel. Under Advanced Properties (for at least the microphone if not both microphone and speakers) Look for a check box option about "Allow exclusive use" and make sure it is unchecked (otherwise the first app that comes along can grab the mic and/or speakers and prevent other apps from using it)

2) Check your audio playback device setting. Here's an easy way to change it

/* EDIT */
And do you know if it;s a mic recording or a playback issue? can you play the recorded file on anything else?

Yea vista32bit. I manage to fix it, it wasn't because of the allow exclusive option, it was this:

I had to show disable devices and turn on stereo mix. Guess i still have stuff to learn about vista haha.

Thanks for the help.

Guess i still have stuff to learn about vista haha.

Me too! So thanks for that info

But one question: Do you really need to display disable devices (not that that it hurts to do so)

As it appears Stereo Mix is a present device so i'm just guessing the fix was just a matter of setting stereo mix (and display disabled shouldn't make a difference?) just curious...

Yes the device wouldn't have showed up if i didn't click on that option, guess it was hidden. aND yes to the second question. I am buying a sound card soon, so i am not going to use onboard anymore.

peace

Ooops. My bad

I meant to say "Did you really need to display disconnected devices (not that that it hurts to do so)"
=> As Stereo Mix i guess musta been disabled but NOT unplugged (i.e. it wasn't disconnected)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back