Can't install the latest Flash / pink line

BobDylan

Hi there,

I had a virus, as you can can see in this thread: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/startpins-opening-on-chrome-nsis-error.185801/page-2

...which resulted in me uninstalling Adobe Flash (as you will read above).

I now can't reinstall it. I currently have a version of Flash, as I was able to install it, but it is not the latest version.

I try and download it from here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ I get to stage 4 but then nothing happens. When I try again it says 'Only a single instance of this application can run'. I can't see it open anyway, even when I go to Task Manager.

Any help on this would be great.

I don't know if this is relvant to this problem, but since getting rid of the virus (my computer is now clean), I now get a pinkish vertical line that comes down the centre right of the screen. It kind of flashes and come and goes. I tried to do a print screen, but it doesn't seem to show up on it. ... Should I start another thread for that issue?!

Ok, I uninstalled it using revouninstaller, which worked fine. Then I trieddownload flash from here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ - But again it didn't respond. I have the icon in my firefox downloads box (well I actually have 8 of them now!), but still nothing happens when I double click on it.

I now don't have have any Adobe flash applications.

Maybe it is worth noting that I do have Adobe Reader X (10.1.4) and Adobe Air.

OK, one of the links just worked!

While installing it said:

Windows cannot find: "C:Users\owner\AppData\Temp\2f188408-6414-4d16 etc etc \ installflashplayer.exe" Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

It then said I have installed it, but im not coninved. I can't see it anywhere.

Go into control panal and check program and features It should also have a Icon in the control panal if it installed

Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X is listed there.

But I still have have a pop up saying I don't have up to date Plugins which suggests I get Flash Player. And if I go onto a website that requires the latest version of flash to watch a video (ie BBCiplayer), then it says: "Cannot play media. You do not have the correct version of the flash player."

You would need the 2nd link for flash . The non IE one. From what your saying. You have some real problems going on. This usally happens after a virus. If it were me I would try uninstalling all my adobe products. Then start fresh with trying to install the flash. If this dose not work you might want to think of backing up anyfiles you have and doing a reinstall of windows if possible. Sometimes virus leave a mess of corrupt files behind.

Hi there,

I clicked on the pop up on my firefox screen saying that I need to update my plugins. So I tried it again (for the 50th time), but for some reason it worked this time. So I just tried Youtube (as it needs flash), and it worked this time! Very strange, but it looks as if it has worked.

The pink line is still turning up every now and again. As I said earlier, I get a pinkish vertical line that comes down the centre right of the screen. It kind of flashes and come and goes. I tried to do a print screen, but it doesn't seem to show up on it. This has only happened since my computer troubles.

Is it worth me starting a new thread on the pink line problem, or is it OK to keep looking for solutions here? To be honest, I'm fine with the pink line, it really isn't a big deal - my only concern is that it is something serious!

Thanks for your help so far.

It might be. Try updating your video drivers see if this helps. Might be the old drivers are corrupt.

Ok go to your start menu, When it pops up, Click on control panel. Then go to the device manager and click on it. Once its window opens. Click on Display adapter. Once it shows you who made your display adapter. Go to the web site and download the latest driver for it.

For some reason, it appears that the pink line has finally gone for good. OK, thanks for all of your help, it is much appreciated.

Out of interest, I have a couple other problems on my computer.... not bugs or anything, but issues I can't work around. For example, if I use the top right google search on my firefox page, it comes up a complete mess. I think it is something to do with encoding, but whatever options I seem to use nothing works. The same happens if I try to use twitter on firefox.

It all comes out looking like this: ���I{۸�

Also, my itunes also hasn't worked properly for about a year. I still havent come across an itunes thread that could help though (on their website).

Are these the sort of issues I can raise on this website? Or is it not really aimed for those kind of issues?

Either way, thanks once again for your help.

Hi there.

I can open iTunes, but it pretty much straight away freezes. I can usually play the one song, but then that's it. Or, for instance, when I open iTunes and then click on a playlist, it will then freeze. I can still use my cursor and and carry on using my laptop, but iTunes has to stay in the background frozen. I can't minimise it. To close it, I have to use ctrl, alt and delete and then close it via task manager. If I rightclick on the itunes icon at the bottom of my screen and choose 'close window' - still nothing happens.

I have tried to uninstall itunes and then installing it again, but it hasn't worked. I recently followed these directions, but they didn't fix the problem - http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-wmpnetwk-exe-in-windows-7/

Do you have the correct installation for your OS? something similar used to happen to me when I used Rhapsody, but I don't recall how we solved the problem..

Pardon my ignorance, but what is OS? (I don't know what Rhapsody is either).

ITunes used to work on my laptop....

From the problems he is having with Firefox sounds like he needs to go into the font properties and change it. My guess is there are few windows files that are corrupt. Plus the computer may need a good cleaning out of temp files and left over software installs.

Back