Can't install vista/7 (weird weird problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessonly

I replaced my ancient 20gb HDD with a brand new 500gb seagate yesterday. Today I tried installing vista/7 , but couldn't. the install in each case got stuck :(

I tried 3 different disks , 2 windows 7 dvds and one vista dvd. The strange thing is that the install gets stuck at the name place with all the dvds!
I get the initial "windows is loading file", then the "starting windows" message. Then comes the nice vistaish background . and thats where the install gets stuck. no window shows up The mouse is present and can be moved. HDD/cdrom lights aren't blinking..

The disks work fine on other PC's.

I don't understand what could be the problem with my PC. I tried resetting the bios, that didn't help. could the new HDD be the problem ? I have managed to install win7 on my old 20gb HDD

Otherwise my PC runs just fine

Specs: AMD X2 4000
1 gb ram
samsung dvd-rw
asus m2a-mx mobo
seagate 500gb HDD
win xp sp3

It sounds to me, that it's getting stuck as soon as it tries to access the HDD. Are you positive that you set the jumper correctly?

If unsuccessful with the jumper then try to format the Harddrive using a startup USB-stick or a Floppy disk. And retry to install Vista

I remember I had a bit of a hang when I installed Windows 7 64-bit RC. The setup seemed to get stuck at a similar screen you described, but I just left it for about 10 min and it started up again; worked fine up to the end. Not really sure what caused it but the RC works fine so I'm guessing maybe a bug? I also noticed that there was no HDD activity during this strange hangup... I would give it another shot and be patient :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back