Can't play multimedia (audio/video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lataak

I have toshiba satellite A205-s5871 laptop which runs windows Vista home premium SP1. It used to work properly until it was attacked by virus. I have now removed the virus but it does not play video or audio. The motherboard is intel 965 express chipset family. The audio device is I think Realtek High Definition Audio. I downloaded driver from toshiba and installed it but still no result.

I also tried to:
Repair Vista = no effect
install another media player=no effect
check the audio device=fine

During the time of infection, it used give error messages like:
Soffice has failed to start because sfc.dll was not found
CEC_MAIN.exe has failed to start because ksuser.dll was not found
File system error (-1073741790)

Consent UI administrative applications has stopped working
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: consent.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918d7b
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000022
Exception Offset: 00009cac
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 9d13
Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3: 9d13
Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Now it does not display those error messages anymore. But it displays error messages w/h it used to display even before the infection:
Could not c:\users\lata\local specified in the registry.
Could not load or run 'Settings\Application'
Could not load or run 'Data\asdlfj3\services.exe' specified in the registry

Please, tell me what I should do. Tell me more about Vista files related to multimedia streaming/playing. What do you think is the solution?

Sorry to ask you, but have you checked the obvious that you have not accidentally muted the output?
Also, if you look at the sound device in control panel, does it show a device as being present?

It is not muted. The volume icon in the task bar shows there is volume. In the control panel, the Sound icon is there. When I open it, it says it device is working properly. But when i try to test the device, it says error can't play test tone.

Then my next step would be to remove the existing driver and install another one - are you sure you have the right driver?
Given the other issues you have, it might be worth running a reinstall of the OS?

I have reinstalled the driver many times. If it is not the right driver, I don't think speaker volume works(correct me if i am wrong). Now you can adjust the volume and when i check in the device manager, it says this device is working properly.
I once removed the driver and reinstalled it and I got an error report I don't remember properly. I tried to get that error report again many times but could not. I the error was
Microsoft streamer proxy or something like that. It says the device is not working properly.

Reinstallation, I can't because I have lots of data on it. I also don't have the recovery CD.

I have reinstalled the driver many times. If it is not the right driver, I don't think speaker volume works(correct me if i am wrong). Now you can adjust the volume and when i check in the device manager, it says this device is working properly.
I once removed the driver and reinstalled it and I got an error report I don't remember properly. I tried to get that error report again many times but could not. I the error was
Microsoft streamer proxy or something like that. It says the device is not working properly.

Reinstallation, I can't because I have lots of data on it. I also don't have the recovery CD.

Do you have sounds at the moment? You mention the volume control so does this mean you have sound but no control over it?

I mean the icon that shows speaker volume in the tray of task bar. I don't have any sound at all.

Then I think I have to admit defeat - sorry!
If the volume control is present then this means the device is installed and working.
The fault is one that I would fix with a reinstall - you do not need the restore CD but it helps - you can use any Windows install CD of the right sort to match the product code on the machine. But you need to backup your files and also download all the drivers for the machine onto a CD so you have them ready once you have reinstalled the operating system.
There is a repair option as part of the install routine but you say you have tried this already.

Can you tell me which Windows files are related with multimedia playing. I may try to copy them from other working Vista OS and try it? This may look crazy, but I have to try since there is no media now as well and there nothing to fear.

Copying windows files from one system to another is unlikely to achieve much other than to stop your windows althogether. Files have to be installed.
Sorry - maybe someone else has some ideas about this one?

Hi lataak

The first thing you need to do is run the 8-step virus removal tool from here ... https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ ... you might not have got all of the infected files. Then you need to insert your Vista disc and run the REPAIR function and Chkdsk to fix the corrupted files. There is no need to get these files from another computer. There is also no need for a reinstall so you'll be able to keep your data. After this is done you can reinstall your sound drivers as well.

Hope this helps

Spyder_1386 :)

Of course I have tried to repair already. I also ran the 8-step virus removal process. Except one step, step 6, all the others are successfully accomplished. In step 6, the program (Malwarebytes anti-spyware) reports an error while scanning and closes down. The error code: 722(206,7).

I have Avg 8.5 free version and I updated it and scanned my computer. No virus was detected in the computer. I don't think there is a virus in the computer now. May be some of the system files are corrupted. That is why I wanted to try copying from other working system. The driver is installed and working properly. I think the problem lies on Vista.

Here is the hijack log file. Do you see any problem?

Moderator Edit:
Pasted log removed
All logs must be attached, see here for info on attaching logs:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post733954-4.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back