Can't reinstall Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having some problems with Oblivion and the mods so I decided to uninstall it, which I did manually and that turned out to be a mistake. Now I tried to reinstall it and the game still detected Oblivion, it gave me a message that said "Do you want to completely remove Oblivion from your system". I said yes and it said that it was removed, but I tried to install it afterwards and the same thing kept happening over and over again. I really want to play Oblivion again but I don't want to have to wipe my whole hard drive to just get it off. For some reason it's not on my add/remove programs list so I cant try and delete it from there. I've tried almost everything and I'm getting desperate, if anyone can help it would be awesome, thanks in advance

As you know by now, just deleting folders and files does not uninstall programs. You need to clean it from the registry. Try using the freeware Ccleaner.

I tried using Ccleaner and I cleaned the registry, but when I put the cd in the same thing still happened, is there anything else?

I don't know if this will affect it but did you restart after cleaning the registry?

Also, double check to see if there are any more Oblivion folders and files you may have overlooked and delete them.

Well I did find some new stuff when I searched the hard drive but I deleted and then cleaned the registry again to make sure it was gone, still not working though : /

If you tried to delete Oblivion recently, maybe you can try System Restore back to a point before you started this. If so, uninstall the right way and see if it works. If it doesn't work, you can always undo the System Restore to bring you back to now.

I would try that but this happened sometime last year, and the system restore won't go back to 2008, is it possible to make it do that?

No. That's why I hoped it had been recently. I'm stuck at the moment.

Well, you could always reformat the hard drive but that is a last resort. Someone else might know but at present I've run out of ideas.

My guess

Here are all the ways I can think of to completely remove it, then reinstall...

First remove the registry keys created when you installed those programs. This is a very good registry cleaner www ccleaner com (fill in the dots)

Second search disk for application name (or variation)

Third delete .plist, application support, logs, saved games etc...

Fourth (never tried this myself, but I heard it works) Go to control panel and turn the "show hidden files" option. From there on go to your c: drive and select the file "users". In this file there should be 3 subfolders which are "default, public, and a file that has your name on it (the name that u use to register the log in name)". Select your name and should be able to see many subfolders. Select the one called "Appdata". Appdata is the file that vista use for all saved game files or other program files that u used before. Then delete on from there

That's all my ideas. I hope I helped.

(took me a long time to write this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back