Inactive Can't update any of my adware, malware programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
for about three weeks i have not been able to update any anti-malware programs (super anti-spyware, malware bytes, spybot teatimer, and when I try to go to the sites to download an updated version I have been getting a "server not found" message. i also have started to get tell tell "your computer is infected" pop-ups over the last few days, but the only scan i have been able to download updated (dr. web cure it) hasn't found anything, if anyone can help me with this, it is greatly appreciated.

I would suggest starting with the sticky posts at the top of this forum. There's lots of good information to be found there. One trick these malware apps use it to block any site for updates. Sometimes they use a modified HOSTS file to redirect everything.

What I normally do when I see a virus like this is disable the system restore feature, boot into Safe Mode with Networking and update and scan from there.

Welcome to TechSpot, chacer. I'll help you with the malware.

You were given good advice about the 'sticky'- but I will modify it somewhat:

Please follow the steps in our Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal 'sticky' thread HERE.

When finished, leave the 3 logs for review in your next reply.

It's possible that "server not found" could be due to something other than a malware problem. Although you haven't been able to update (wish you hadn't waited for 3 weeks) run what you can and let us check the results.

But please DO NOT turn off System restore now- we will have you do that at the end of the cleaning. Also, try to run the scans in Normal Mode if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back