Cat5e: How far from AC wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I want to run a cat5e up a wall which also has several Romex (unshielded, non-metallic) AC cables.
I am planning to run the 5e cable at least 16" (distance between studs), but if I need to be further from the AC, then I will run it further away.

I am also going to run a CATV (RG62) up the wall. I would assume that I should not run the CATV wire too close to the cat5e cable either.

Thanks

FW

I *thought* I knew the answer to this, but it was a fuzzy memory so I looked online.

It seems like the answer is it is never OK to put them next to each other in a parallel configuration. If you *must* cross AC wires, do so at right angles (perpendicular only) to minimize interference.

I think I remember reading that it is OK to run them closely if you only do so only 3ft at a time. That hardly makes sense and I'm willing to bet that is just a bad memory. I'm only telling you this in case you find some other source that validates it, because I'm pretty certain I'm wrong.

However, it seems most people agree that 6" or greater should be OK. Here's a very complete guide that may be of some use for your adventure. :)

As far as the coaxial cable is concerned, that is a non-issue. Your only issue will be the electrical wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back