Catalyst 10.10c hotfix brings updates for HD 6800 cards

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD has released a new hotfix with performance optimizations for the freshly-launched Radeon HD 6850 and 6870. Improvements have been made for the Radeon HD 6800 series in Aliens vs. Predator, StarCraft 2, and OpenGL, which provides gains in Prey, Quake Wars Enemy Territories, and Heaven v2. Additionally, CrossFire has been tweaked for Metro 2033, F1 2010 (DirectX 9), Fallout New Vegas, and Dead Rising 2 (resolves negative scaling). Other bulleted changes include support for OpenGL 4.1 beta and Morphological Anti-Aliasing.

As with every Catalyst hotfix, AMD says it hasn't completed full testing on the update, so it's not officially supported. In other words, you're on your own if catastrophe strikes. It's also worth mentioning that the hotfix is only available for Windows Vista and 7 -- sorry XP users. So, if you have a recent version of Windows and the intestinal fortitude of a bull, go ahead and grab your copy here.

Permalink to story.

why haven't they bothered to bring out a hot-fix for like half of the games that don't work with GPU's over the HD4000's?

a very quick and really needed hotfix i want to pick up one of these 6870s so bad would be a nice upgrade from my current 4850.

"why haven't they bothered to bring out a hot-fix for like half of the games that don't work with GPU's over the HD4000's?"

I agree. I'm back to 10.5 after trying 10.9 and 10.10. They were just terrible. I fired up Fallout 3 and was getting 10fps! Back to 10.5 and I'm averaging around 50fps! Big Difference!

Should be getting my 5870 tommorrow.. see how that goes with drivers.

Yea and i have a 5850 and it won't play dirt or grid because they weren't made to use new graphic cards

I dont know how much of these hotfixes and patches, updates are important? generally whnever i patch them my pc tends to get slower over a time. So i have stopped applying patch untill its utmost important in nature.

I know this sounds odd, but I did not want to upgrade my 4870hd until the 6k series came out. All I am waiting for is the 6970 to show its face so I can finallly be a happy gamer.

To ruzveh: If your computer gets slower after a hotfix, your doing something wrong. Try uninstalling your drivers entirely from your system and see if that fixes the problem of slow down.

Was I the only one that had major issues with 10.10 on my 5850? I had photoshop and 3ds max crash on me as soon as I installed 10.10 from 10.9 After that I uninstalled it straight away and reverted back to 10.9...

It killed my assignment while I was working on it. Unforgivable.

hamsteyr said:
Was I the only one that had major issues with 10.10 on my 5850? I had photoshop and 3ds max crash on me as soon as I installed 10.10 from 10.9 After that I uninstalled it straight away and reverted back to 10.9...

It killed my assignment while I was working on it. Unforgivable.

I had your problem with the 3ds max, but after another driver sweep and re-install of 10.10 I didn't have the crashing problem anymore. Try it.

On another note, I'm glad they are giving updates to their new cards on a timely fashion, as compared to nvidia =p

ruzveh said:
I dont know how much of these hotfixes and patches, updates are important? generally whnever i patch them my pc tends to get slower over a time. So i have stopped applying patch untill its utmost important in nature.
You should defrag more often, that could help you.

The 10.10c drivers gave me a big boost in performance on my 5970 with FFXIV. I was using RadeonPro until now to get real crossfire performance, but I was still only maxing out at around 80% GPU usage for each GPU. I was also forced to suffer with a little bit of screen tearing even though VSync was on. With these drivers I don't have to use RadeonPro and both of my GPUs got up to 97% last night. The screen tearing is gone and everything looks flawless - a steady 60 fps except when I enter town @ 1920x1200 4x AA.

great ATI is on the right track fast fixes and updates

frodough said:
great, hotfix for like 100 ppl out there who actually paid $400+ for a video card..

100 ppl ? its more like 200,000+ lol and am sure its way way waaay more

what about 4xxx users? no improvements there (lol) I dont event want to update my display drivers, 99% chances i might get a black screen of death! Ati @ Amd drivers are a pain...

I don't get it. CrossFire has been tweaked for Metro 2033, F1 2010 (DirectX 9).
Who the hell would want to play DX9 on a DX11 card?

A majority of games don't have a DX11 codepath - or did you mean F1 specifically?

vangrat said:
I know this sounds odd, but I did not want to upgrade my 4870hd until the 6k series came out. All I am waiting for is the 6970 to show its face so I can finallly be a happy gamer.

To ruzveh: If your computer gets slower after a hotfix, your doing something wrong. Try uninstalling your drivers entirely from your system and see if that fixes the problem of slow down.

I'm with you on that. I received a 5870 on a warranty return for my 4870x2.. gonna sell it and wait for Antilles. :D

ATI always does a great job with their driver updates. They also seem to do a good job of listening to the community, like when they added AA support for StarCraft 2

Back