CCleaner has stopped working

learninmypc

CCLEANER has stopped working.jpg
NOT the first time this has happened. If it don't stop, I'll remove it permanetely. Why is this happening ??

What version of Windows are you running?

Instead of removing it permanently, have you tried removing and reinstalling it?

There is an update for it running around, at least from the version I have, which is 5.12.5431

Try running CCleaner's registry cleaner if you can

Scan C;/ also for any possible malware preventing CCleaner from running.

I'm curious if Win 10 would allow you to install a 32 bit version. Either that, or dial it back to the earlier version.

I never throw away old installers / versions, keeping them well beyond the point where it makes any sense whatsoever....:D

Piriforn is offering other "builds" free (pretty sure free). There's one you can install on a thumb drive

Last edited:
I think that would depend on the installer. Since Windows 10 64bit doesn't care, if you install a 32 or 64 bit version of any software.

I was just sort of musing about whether Windows 10 is any more problematic than earlier versions with the WHQL rules...

Basically, I was wondering if Win 10 makes the same inquiries that Linux does when confronted with a bit access differential, Along the lines of, "this is a 64 bit computer, are you sure you want to install a 32 bit OS"?

With M$ more or less trying to close their system down a bit, (like a closet Apple closed ecosystem), I think it was a reasonable question. Especially in light o the fact I won't be "uppgrading" to Win 10. When M$ started trying to slam additional telemetry into Windows 7, with their "big news" cumulative update, that was it for me. In the immortal words of Roberto Duran, when he called it quits in the middle of a fight, "no mas"!

Last edited:
What version of Windows are you running?

Instead of removing it permanently, have you tried removing and reinstalling it?

There is an update for it running around, at least from the version I have, which is 5.12.5431

Try running CCleaner's registry cleaner if you can

Scan C;/ also for any possible malware preventing CCleaner from running.
W10
Yes, have uninstalled/reinstalled
I've always ran the latest update
Won't run its registry cleaner
& yes, I've scanned for malware & its clean.
Have tried running an older version but same outcome.

How do I get to it to check it ?

Click Start then type Event Viewer, should come up. Or right click on Computer, then click Manage, Computer Management will come up, and you'll see Event Viewer.

How doI get that version & 32 bit?

Think it both versions are in the setup file and installer installs the one corresponding to your OS.

Piriforn is offering other "builds" free (pretty sure free). There's one you can install on a thumb drive

Just downloaded the portable one, and there're 2 exe files. One CCleaner64.exe, the other is CCleaner.exe.

OK, as has been said, "hindsight is always 20/20". Thus, this is a scolding. Some program vendors will allow you to download past versions of their programs, but a majority (?) won't. Hence, at the risk of being called a Luddite and technical incompetent, I never update a program which is working correctly. Nor do I "recycle" earlier versions of installers, reasoning that the "updated version", may not be to my liking, may have more advertising, or may not work correctly.

Have you checked our download page?

Have you uninstalled the permanent version?

Have you tried the portable version after doing so?

Did you check the event viewer yet? It will give you info in the case of an "app hang". Whether or not any of us will be able to interpret it, is another matter.

OK, as has been said, "hindsight is always 20/20". Thus, this is a scolding. Some program vendors will allow you to download past versions of their programs, but a majority (?) won't. Hence, at the risk of being called a Luddite and technical incompetent, I never update a program which is working correctly. Nor do I "recycle" earlier versions of installers, reasoning that the "updated version", may not be to my liking, may have more advertising, or may not work correctly.

Have you checked our download page?

Have you uninstalled the permanent version?

Have you tried the portable version after doing so?

Did you check the event viewer yet? It will give you info in the case of an "app hang". Whether or not any of us will be able to interpret it, is another matter.
Yes, I know hindsight is 20/20 :)
As I've said, I've always been told to update to the latest so I usually do.
Ok, guilty. Just went to the TS download page & got it
Yes, I uninstalled the permanent version
No, I haven't tried the portable version yet, but wiill.
I found the Event Viewer but it was all greek to me & didn't have any idea what or where to go in it.

Think the last time I troubleshot, I searched for the program in question in Windows Logs > Application.

I didn't go thru ALL the "error' logs but the ones I did seem to be the same, almost. I don't use Skype either, never have.
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 7/20/2016 5:35:30 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: HAL-9000
Description:
Faulting application name: SkypeHost.exe, version: 10.1.2123.36, time stamp: 0x56eb679c
Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.10586.103, time stamp: 0x56a84cbb
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x00166fb1
Faulting process id: 0x1e74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1e2e7c8f5a177
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Messaging_2.15.20002.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\SkypeHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\combase.dll
Report Id: 6cc4750f-176c-4f42-a304-6d6a968f9194
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Messaging_2.15.20002.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-07-21T00:35:30.944766700Z" />
<EventRecordID>95755</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>HAL-9000</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>SkypeHost.exe</Data>
<Data>10.1.2123.36</Data>
<Data>56eb679c</Data>
<Data>combase.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.10586.103</Data>
<Data>56a84cbb</Data>
<Data>c000027b</Data>
<Data>00166fb1</Data>
<Data>1e74</Data>
<Data>01d1e2e7c8f5a177</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Messaging_2.15.20002.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\SkypeHost.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\combase.dll</Data>
<Data>6cc4750f-176c-4f42-a304-6d6a968f9194</Data>
<Data>Microsoft.Messaging_2.15.20002.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe</Data>
<Data>ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thanks. I did install the portable version of ccleaner but it also stopped working in the same way the other one did so unless somebody has a link for an older version, I guess I'll forget about using it. Thank you :)

Sorry to hear that. There has to be something wrong with Windows causing this to happen. Strange though that you are only seeing issues with this one program.

Tomorrow I might see if there is a ccleaner forum to see if others are having similiar problems. I appreciate your patience with me. Have a great evening. :)

Good luck and hope you get to the bottom of this quickly. IMO, CCleaner is a necessity to run periodically. I've never had issues running it, so I'm clueless as to what the cause might be.

Back