CD Drive wont play CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozzielex

I had a few problems recently with my CD drive, i.e. it disappeared. as mysteriously as that happened it re-appeared however now it will only play DVDs. I've tried several cds and none will play, all I hear is a bit of clicking. It also freezes my windows media player. Can anyone please help?

The drive is still there, its just the cd function that wont work. Itried the site you mentioned and the ms automated troubleshooting service but it didnt work.
Someone has suggested that I uninstall the drive in device manager then it will re-install itself, is that correct?

If it's not a upper and lower registry filter problem then..
Uninstalling and reinstalling could work- No promises, but it's easy enough hypothesis to test.
I'd also check for the latest firmware revision of the drive.

it could also be your cable, or the connection is not solid. particularly if its a SATA cable. they can work themselves, or be bumped loose, mostly on the motherboard connection, and it doesn't take much.I have come across this many times. (this assuming that the drive is in working order)

Someone has suggested that I uninstall the drive in device manager then it will re-install itself, is that correct?
That is correct. When you restart Windows, the device will automatically reinstall (assuming you haven't physically removed it, that is).

Thanks very much guys; Dividebyzero I have downloaded the latest firmware version, do I install it on top of the older version or uninstall the latter first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back