CD/DVD Drive Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttwwfc9

Hi, im new to this so im not sure if this is the right place to post this. Anyway Ive been playing on The Sims 2 Open For Business recently with no problems. I loaded it up yesterday and it was fine, then I installed some iPod software from a different disk, again no problems but then when I put the Open For Business disk back in, it wouldnt work. First it made a loud sort of fast whirring sound and then started to make the noise it makes when it loads a disk but then it sounded like it was getting stuck or something and wouldnt load. Then I couldnt get the tray open to get the disk out and it was saying there was nothing on the disk and then it wasnt recognising the disk, but now it is again and I can get the disk in and out fine but its still making the same kind of noises. It has happened before but it sorted itself out I think. Can anyone help? Thanks

First, there's a pin-hole in the CD/DVD drive where you can insert a the end of a paperclip and mechanically force open the tray.

Next, I would reload the device driver for the CD/DVD drive. This may or may not be the problem but it's a good place to start.

Start -> right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> DVD/CD-Drives -> right-click CD/DVD drive -> Uninstall

After its uninstalled, then click on Action -> SCan for hardware changes and it should automatically detect the DVD drive again and install the device driver. See if it then works.

Report back with results.

-- Andy

Check for Spyware

The next most likly cause is spyware. One of the most common symptoms of spyware is that it knocks out your devices such as you CD/DVD drive.

Download, install and run the following 3 anti-spyware utilties from the Downloads section at this site:

• Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • SuperAntispyware
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

Repost with results.

-- Andy

Yes. For spyware, it's best to run all 3 utilties. No one utility detects everything.

-- Andy

So...I downloaded and installed Spybot and started to run it but as it was late and I was losing my patience I stopped it and shut everything down before it finished. Got up the next day and turned my computer on so I could run it all the way through and download the others you suggested and thought i'll just try the disk again before I start with Spybot to see what happens and it worked fine. So thanks for your help anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back