CDPR 'broke' the main storyline in latest Cyberpunk 2077 update

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: We've already seen a few patches that aimed to fix broken quests and improve performance in Cyberpunk 2077. Aside from these small updates, developer CD Projekt Red said that it had two "major" iterations in the works for January and February. The first arrived this weekend.

Cyberpunk 2077 version 1.1 landed on Saturday with a wide range of quest, UI, visual, and stability patches. However, despite the various mission fixes listed in the patch notes, the game's latest iteration managed to break the previously working "Down on the Street" quest.

Under normal conditions, Takemura telephones V about a day after accepting the mission. However, when answering the call, the dialog does not play out, and the quest fails to move to the next stage. The bug is present on all platforms.

It might not be such a troublesome error if it were just a side mission. Unfortunately, "Down on the Street" is part of the main story arc. So those encountering this bug are essentially stuck and unable to complete the game.

CD Projekt Red said that it is aware of the issue and will release a hotfix for it "as soon as possible." In the meantime, it has posted a possible workaround on its support website that might work for some players. It involves reloading a save prior to the conversation with Wakako that triggers the quest.

Unfortunately, those who started the mission but then went off to do side missions could lose hours of progress using this workaround. In that case, it might be better to wait for the next patch. Although CDPR did not say when it would have a fix, it's probably safe to say this bug is one of its top priorities at the moment.

Permalink to story.

When I played through Cyberpunk the first time, I encountered almost no bugs at all.

I killed Oda, Takemura was upset and later Takemura got trapped in the building, his fate unknown.

On my second playthrough, I spared Oda, saved Takemura from the building and when I decide to complete the game, he will be there at the end with me.

This game is really, really good, even if the PS4 peasants can't enjoy it.

Latest update for our game.

OK everyone we know this breaks the main storyline but there is a workaround, you just keep playtesting this we'll hotfix it later.

Lmao it's insane how this is basically being beta tested by the public months after the game went 'gold'.

This patch did disappointingly little and the quest, while important, is not as big of an issue as the reported performance regression many are reporting.

I am all but ready to conclude that this game is basically so broken it's not going to get fixed. That is, not inside 6 month but more likely over the course of maybe a year or two. Think No man's sky levels of work that needs to be done, only worst since the scale is much larger here and throwing more people doesn't helps with the added complexity.

I'm calling it a done deal: it's never going to work properly CDPR will lose interest in fixing it within a few months and just hope people forget about it, if they haven't imploded by then.

This patch did disappointingly little and the quest, while important, is not as big of an issue as the reported performance regression many are reporting.

I am all but ready to conclude that this game is basically so broken it's not going to get fixed. That is, not inside 6 month but more likely over the course of maybe a year or two. Think No man's sky levels of work that needs to be done, only worst since the scale is much larger here and throwing more people doesn't helps with the added complexity.

I'm calling it a done deal: it's never going to work properly CDPR will lose interest in fixing it within a few months and just hope people forget about it, if they haven't imploded by then.

At least with No Man's Sky we got way more features in the end and a game that's actually good - the problem wasn't really bugs (apart from a few early day ones), but failing to deliver on content, which finally got added, and thereafter expanded upon - in the case of this game, it has bugs, is missing a lot of promised content, and runs like absolute sewage, fueled solely by hype and a lot of empty promises from people who somehow could not see past CDPR's smoke and mirrors to see that they are just like any other AAA game dev company (where appeasing investors / generating hype comes first over making a good product), and I sure as hell don't see CDPR pulling a Hello Games where they finally actually fix the game, more so a few patches so it "works", and then a smattering of paid DLC to try and squeeze out more money

OK everyone we know this breaks the main storyline but there is a workaround, you just keep playtesting this we'll hotfix it later.

Lmao it's insane how this is basically being beta tested by the public months after the game went 'gold'.

Because that definetely worked when Microsoft fired their entire QA team in exchange for a bunch of guinea pigs....

- sees latest Windows 10 bug which means bad actors can effectively delete all your files using a folder glitch, 4 years after release -

Oh wait.........

The game is too complex, there is a lot of stuff to be tested, a lot if different imputs should produce various outputs, number of meaningful combinations is enormous and some combinations can easily be overlooked. The approaches to testing such complex open world and open quest games need to advance, as using classical testing techniques does not work on them (and it will even less work for Star Citizen, which will be even more complex than Cyberpunk).

It was pretty late that I found out cp2077 was being produced, probably around late 2019 or 2020 (tbh I dont recall anymore) as soon as I did I knew they were in over their head. The world looks gorgeous, but everything else in it seems bland. Creating any open world simulation (with "meaningful" stuff to do within buildings and so on), RPG at that, without an AI to be able to offload any creative process that can be offloaded, is insane.
GTA is doing a great job but at the detriment of textures. Then again, they developed for 2013 consoles and wanted to make it work lol.
CDPR was their own worst enemy.

I can already get a key for this game for below 30 bucks. Still holding off until it is in working state.

Back