Cell phone's wifi settings

Hi everyone!
I am new here, and have just spent the last 2 hours signing up and trying to figure out my question on this website and then trying to see where I a supposed to post a new question?
So please forgive me if I am not in the exact right place... hopefully I am close though!
Basically, I am not nearly as knowledgeable as I wish I was, but the internet connection configurational stuff is very confusing for me. But for now,my basic question is this:

Does a cell phone's wifi settings interfere or conflict with data usage or tethering?

(IE., why would I ever want to"turn off" OR "disable" my phone's wifi? Is there a disadvantage to keeping it on permanently, even though where I live I hardly ever (like 20% of the time) get a decent wifi signal? ) If not, then why does the option to turn it off even exist?
I have been all over the internet trying to find out the answer to this!
Also, where on the phone is the internet reception receiver? So that I know what part to be careful not to cover when using, and what part to aim toward my window...
(Btw, I can use my 2 GB/mo. data, but would like to conserve it when possible so I dont run out halfway thru the month)
Thanks so much for any tips!

First understand; without a wifi connection, you are pulling data across your cell phone provider's connection
AND every by tallies against your data plan - - ie $$$$$

That's the reason to use wifi whenever possible. !!!

As to tethering, see the wiki

"Also, where on the phone is the internet reception receiver? So that I know what part to be careful not to cover when using, and what part to aim toward my window..."
To the best of my knowledge, the edges of your
phone.

Back