Certain programs keep freezing when started

Status
Not open for further replies.

meowbark

So today when I woke up, I noticed that my CPU was making a weird scratching noise. Like when it's trying to play a scratched DVD or something, and then it took 10 minutes to load to the User Accounts menu. I was thinking one of my brothers had installed something, so I logged onto my account to get rid of whatever it was.

Then I noticed that it was taking FOREVER to start up [I have to let MSN and McAfee start before anything, if I start Firefox up, it will take longer then normal. Which usually is less then 30 seconds normally.] So as soon as MSN pops up, I ran it, didn't take a long time.

So when I decided to run WMP to listen to some music, It froze my computer for a minute. Then it wouldn't run. I exited out, went to the Properties on my C: drive and tried to run a clean up and defrag. my computer. Both froze.

I reset the computer then, and still got the same problems.

I mean every other program but these few seem to be working just fine. Though when I run programs, they take a bit longer to load then normal.

Why did that just start happening this morning? I hadn't installed anything or downloaded anything. I even ran Norton for viruses, and it came up clean.

Help here?

I doubt the noise was coming from the cpu...
It is possible that it was one of the cooling fans
(either from your cpu or from your psu...)
but the cpu has no moving parts.

So my first suspicion is something else.

First, Back up anything that has not recently been backed up.

Then, Check for "Events", for information on how to use event viewer,
... look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
Post information here, as text files.
Include your system specs.
CPU, Speed, OS & SP, Memory, internal drives,
anything special (graphics cards, etc to special cooling, etc)

Then, run CheckDisk, ...
I suspect you will find errors, including unrepairable errors.
Let us know these results as well.

Keep us informed of your progress or problems along the way.

Problem;

It won't let me post my logs, specs, or anything.

I click "Submit reply"

And get a blank page. EVERY TIME.

Problem;
It won't let me post my logs, specs, or anything.
I click "Submit reply"
And get a blank page. EVERY TIME.

:confused:
You were able to make this post.
How did you do that?

Try pasting your information into the body Don't do this ;)
and submit, just like your previous two posts.
Obviously you are doing something different...
Is it making attachments that is failing?

Edit...
Apologies... I stand duly chastised and corrected.

Well I don't know why that post went through, I guess because I was copying and pasting the Event Logs on the reply...

Though there is nothing to show under DriverScanner or Microsoft Office Diagnostices.

Not sure if I got the right logs... I don't mess with this stuff normally

I don't believe I should add any virus logs, I ran Malware bytes and Norton again, still nothing.

Not sure if I got the right logs...
Next time, Please do not copy the entire Event log> Errors only.

There were only 3 Errors, but each is repeating:
Hanging apps could indicate some problem with your memory or some overheating problem.
The wmplayer.exe and mmc.exe errors are related.
4/10/2009 6:53:09 PM Application Hang Error (101) 1002 N/A HOME-F2199B26F6 Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 11
4/10/2009 6:48:23 PM Application Hang Error (101) 1002 N/A HOME-F2199B26F6 Hanging application mmc.exe, version 5.2.3790.4136, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
Error: ID #1002
Source: Application hang
Time & Date: 4/11/2009 1:40:10 PM
Description: Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5721.5145, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error ID#1002
Source: Application hang
Date & Time: 4/11/2009 9:16:33 AM
Description: Hanging application mmc.exe, version 5.2.3790.4136, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
Possible cause: , the application that reports as being hung it may simply wait for one of its components. For example, mmc.exe, the Microsoft Management Console, will report this if the appication that is accessed through it is not responding (and most of the Microsoft applications are using mmc as management interface). In such cases, the event is not useful in troubleshooting as mmc is not the source of the problem. Look for other events that may be directly related to the problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error ID# 7
Source: CdRom
Date & Time: 4/10/2009 11:37:48 PM
Description: The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.
What's happening: Source: Event ID: (Edited for length)
the device driver that interfaces between the CD Rom hardware and the operating system.....can't read the information bit by bit or byte by byte but in larger chunks of data called blocks..... when reading the data it is trying to get the whole block. Failure to read this data generates the message that the whole block is bad (or unreadable). The device number in case there are several of that type).
Causes:
The CD may be scratched, dirty or damaged.
Possible need to replace the CDROM drive .
Use of Safedisc protected CDRom.
The CD or the CD Drive is dirty
The data might be missing or corrupted.

Troubleshooting:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314096
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;126380

Due to the number of repeated errors for this, I would say the drive itself needs to be replaced.

I have to take a break here- will be back later. In the meantime, look for connection between WMP+MMC hanging apps.

Though, now my whole computer is acting up. It keeps on freezing. And I keep hearing a weird noise coming from my Tower, like it's skipping or something.

This isn't just freezing on WMP, it does it on various other programs too.

It sounds like you headed for a hard drive failure. Suggest you back up everything you do no want to lose.

So, I guess I need a new hard drive?

EDIT; Mom just told me that you guys don't know what you're talking about. So now what? I told her it would be best to look at new Hard Drives and she said that. :I

Well then, how about getting mom to help you!

Actually, we have a pretty good record here.

I know that, tomorrow she is going to call up Alienware Tech. Support.

Though what would you recommend? A new Hard Drive all together or Tech. Support?

Oh and would posting my specs. be a little more helpful?

Specs always help us help you better.

The symptoms you are having point to a possible hard drive failure. That is NOT a guarantee that it will fail. But it should serve as a reminder to backup anything you don't want to chance losing.

System Model/Manufacturer; Alienware [Custom made]
BIOS; Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00
Processor; AMB Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory; 2048MB RAM
Display; NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache
DAC Type; Integrated RAMDAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back