Change default encoding from Unicode

dotVezz

Hey everyone. You can read this long, detailed explanation or you can read the simplified bullets. I hope you'll be able to get all the information you need either way.

I have a Windows 7 PC, and I have some Korean software that I want to use, but it doesn't work (well) with default UTF-8 or any other Unicode encoding (as far as I know). I seem to recall Windows XP having a way to change the default encoding, but I can't find anything like that in Win7.

With the standard IME, I can type Hangul without any issues at all, and some Korean programs (with unicode support) work, but many (Localized) programs don't.

Problem:
* Korean software is funky in unicode (Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/3bonQ.png)

My syetem:
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Did some research. Looks like you need to have the Korean Language Pack installed. The thing is that's available as an optional update for Enterprise & Ultimate, not Home Premium, which is what you have. Google Korean Language Pack Windows 7 64 bit, 4th link from the top, wincert.net has direct links to download.windowsupdate.com. Plus instructions.

Back