Change of Admin user in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all and its great to be here.
I have just moved to another country and cranked up my laptop running XP pro after a month without any access. It came up as usual etc, no problems.
I then installed (tried to) mobile internet. When on the phone to the company to activate the connection, it did not work and I tried several different ports etc.
The man from the company then said we need to create another user acct to see if taht would work. I am the only user and the only acct on the computer was the Administrator acct. Went to User Accts and created another acct called Administrator5. Rebooted and then the software installed OK and access to internet approved etc.
Situation now is that when computer starts etc it just goes to a totally new very basic setup for Admin5. This means I have lost all my icons on the sart up screen and all my other settings. I can find my word and Excel files under Shared Files only. All my internet bookmarks are gone because the compter thinks it has a new user called Administrator5.
I cannot change to get back the original user called Administrator as there must alawys be one acct woith Admin Access. I went to Local Users, Groups, users and the original account called Administrator is still listed. It also says when it is highlighted that this is the original built in account on the computer for Admin purposes. If I try to delete Administrator5 from this screen it says I will never be able to log back onto the computer etc. If I go back to Control panel. user accounts, I cannot delete or change Administrator5 as there must always be a user with Admin Access!!
I just want all my old settings, icons, screen saver links, Internet favourites, bookmarks etc back. Yeah, also it wants me to setup Outlook for email again, not sure about that as I have lots of emails from before that I will still need to be able to access.
Any ideas, any help is very much appreciated.
Sorry about the long post. It is not quite the same as the one below about accidental deletion.
I am thinking if Administrator is a built in feature, why cannot I return to it and get back all settings etc from years of use.
Thanks
BK4979

You can use your old administrator account, however, for that you will need to change the way you log onto your system.

Please follow the instructions on this microsoft article, and enable Ctrl+Alt+Del for logging in, and type Administrator (and if there is a password for that account, please provide that as well).

Thank you for the information.
I went to the article and followed it through.
I had to actually delete the "new" Administrator, then evreything came back to exactly as it was previously.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back