Changing graphics card on an all-in-one PC

A

AdamElphick

The Z5771 does have a pcie slot for an external graphics card - how you get he case open I have not investigated but I was planning on buying a decent card for it. The only proviso seems to be it neds to be a low profile card.

You will have to look the case over carefully to figure out how to open it. There are plenty of low-profile PCIe cards out there to choose from

Tmagic... & jobeard...
Nothing I find on CNET or on Acer (well; see below) indicated that PCIe socket.
However... this does... http://www.manualowl.com/m/Acer Computers/Aspire-Z5771/Manual/275596?page=27
Good information...

Then turning to the user manual...
"Install additional interface cards in empty PCI slots, e.g., PCI fax/modem card (selected models only)"

I would suspect that the op should pay attention to this note on page 4
You can only use components compatible with AcerSystem computers.
Before you choose new components, please ask your authorized Acer
dealer whether the part will operate within your AcerSystem system.

Somehow, I suspect, pcie16 "slot/connector" not withstanding,
the addition of a graphics card will not be an option for the OP.
If someone has actually DONE this, I would be delighted to hear about it.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2011/acer/aspire/AspireZ5771/AspireZ5771sp2.shtml
This AIO has only two supported graphics options...
Discrete graphic cards supported:
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 530 2 GB
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520 1 GB

As said above... would be interested in hearing experiences of those who actually have modified the system.

If you take a careful look at the manual, you can see that the video card that's in place is all confined to a single slot. I doubt that card would actually fit because its heat sink extends into, what looks to be, a non-available second slot.

I have upgraded this model {z5771} all in one...... and it was easy,
google up the service manual{z5771}.....that will show you how to remove the back cover,
I have ran a gt 520{2gb} and now have a gt 530{2gb} and have encountered no problems at all,
I did not even have to upgrade the power {135 watts}
I have played games like total war {empire, mtw2,napoleon} without any problems or cut outs
the gt 530 plays games better than the gt 520 because it has a better memory width.......
but yeah just to let people know it can be done and it is a good upgrade for these machines,
what I will say is though...once you remove the back cover ..the warranty will be void.....
cheers

I've only got the onboard graphics but woudl like to ADD the card. What extra wirs do I need as well as the graphics card?

Oh, as in the service manual I have it shows wires coming from the card... I assumed you needed these? Or are they the same wires that woudl normall connect to the main board for integrated graphics? Sorry I am sounding dim but I coudlnt see how the card woudl work if it was just plugged in with no wires to it.
I've had my 5771 apart as I replaced the main drive with an SSD and use the old main drive as a partitioned backup unit (still inside the case as theres plenty of room in there for a notebook sized SSD for the OS drive!) - it boots in 12 seconds now!

Back