Changing icons

circusboy01

I'm probably not the first person to think of this. But, on the small chance I might be I'm going to share.
Say you use Firefox to download something to your desktop..It will come with a FF icon.you don't want a FF icon so you click menu properties,and change icon. But your only choices are FF Icons.
Here's what you do. Delete firefox. go back to whatever you downloaded. click menu ,
properties and change icon again.This time you will be given a choice of a bunch of Icons choose the one you want. when you're finished Open the recycle bin,and restore Firefox. Ray

I'm probably not the first person to think of this. But, on the small chance I might be I'm going to share.
Say you use Firefox to download something to your desktop..It will come with a FF icon.you don't want a FF icon so you click menu properties,and change icon. But your only choices are FF Icons.
Here's what you do. Delete firefox. go back to whatever you downloaded. click menu ,
properties and change icon again.This time you will be given a choice of a bunch of Icons choose the one you want. when you're finished Open the recycle bin,and restore Firefox. Ray

I don't agree. I've downloaded many things & have seen no FF icon. Might you explain this better? Maybe I missed something.:confused:

I don't agree. I've downloaded many things & have seen no FF icon. Might you explain this better? Maybe I missed something.:confused:

I have seen some exceptions. But, for the most part If I download something using Google, Iget a Google Icon. The round one. Blue in the middle red yellow and green on the outside
when I download something using Firefox I get a Firefox Icon. The one that looks like a globe. But it's really a fox wrapped around a blue ball.
Don't know why, but every once in a while I'll hit change icon and I get a quick message that says Windows can't find file. Half second later it gives me the choice that has a lot of Icons on it I'm sure you know the one I mean Ray

I have seen some exceptions. But, for the most part If I download something using Google, Iget a Google Icon. The round one. Blue in the middle red yellow and green on the outside
when I download something using Firefox I get a Firefox Icon. The one that looks like a globe. But it's really a fox wrapped around a blue ball.
Don't know why, but every once in a while I'll hit change icon and I get a quick message that says Windows can't find file. Half second later it gives me the choice that has a lot of Icons on it I'm sure you know the one I mean Ray

Ok,I have Google Chrome but don't download anything with it. I use FF for that & still only see the name of what it is & no FF icon.:)

Ok,I have Google Chrome but don't download anything with it. I use FF for that & still only see the name of what it is & no FF icon.:)

That's weird that things that should be pretty much alike, are so different.
Maybe someone else could tell us what's going on.
When I downloaded CCleaner, and all my other virus/Malware protection, thay came with their own Icons, as did a few other things. But, when I downloaded G-mail Yahoo mail Facebook,Consumer cellular, Verizon, Wells Fargo, Capital One, United of Omaha, and Tech Spot They all came with the FF or GC Icon,and I had to use the method,I explained at the beginning of this thread to change them..
Oh Well not a real big deal. If you ever get a FF or GC Icon you will know how to change it ;):D ;)

circusboy01... it sounds to me like you are simply downloading the shortcuts. You see, there is a difference between file types. CCleaner would have been either an .exe or a .msi, while-as a website "Download" (which is a shortcut) would use YOUR default BROWSER icon...

Because it's just a shortcut/html document...

circusboy01... it sounds to me like you are simply downloading the shortcuts. You see, there is a difference between file types. CCleaner would have been either an .exe or a .msi, while-as a website "Download" (which is a shortcut) would use YOUR default BROWSER icon...

Thanks. You said it a lot better than I did. So when I sent the FF or GC default Icons to the recycle bin. That freed up all the other stuff on my Desktop to use any Icon I chose. Right?

Learningmypc. Does MOPAR MAN's explanation clear things up for you?

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar man View Post

Thanks. You said it a lot better than I did. So when I sent the FF or GC default Icons to the recycle bin. That freed up all the other stuff on my Desktop to use any Icon I chose. Right?

Learningmypc. Does MOPAR MAN's explanation clear things up for you?

Ray

Since I only use FF to download with for now, anything I've downloaded has the alphanumeric name only, along with the .exe,flv,or ??
untitled.jpg
extension. I downloaded a Google Earth update this morning , see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar man View Post

Since I only use FF to download with for now, anything I've downloaded has the alphanumeric name only, along with the .exe,flv,or ??
untitled.jpg
extension. I downloaded a Google Earth update this morning , see?

Are you saying your Desktop Icon come out alphanumeric with exe.fly or?? ?
Because I am talking about nothing but Desktop Icons. I have been talking about nothing but Desktop Icons Since I first started this thread.
I know you know more than me when it comes to PC's But I don't see where alphanumeric. would have anything to do with what Icon you see. Maybe you could use the Icons drop down menu and find it there. But I've never seen a Icon with a bunch of letters and numbers. Could you show me an example? Ray

Are you saying your Desktop Icon come out alphanumeric with exe.fly or?? ?
Because I am talking about nothing but Desktop Icons. I have been talking about nothing but Desktop Icons Since I first started this thread.
I know you know more than me when it comes to PC's But I don't see where alphanumeric. would have anything to do with what Icon you see. Maybe you could use the Icons drop down menu and find it there. But I've never seen a Icon with a bunch of letters and numbers. Could you show me an example? Ray

I included a screenshot in the above post. Here it is again
untitled.jpg

that is what I got when I downloaded the Google Earth program earlier today using SeaMonkey since it is my default browser.
Might you tell me what it was you downloaded with FF & if possible give me a link & I'll download it & submit the screenshot.:)

I included a screenshot in the above post. Here it is again
untitled.jpg

that is what I got when I downloaded the Google Earth program earlier today using SeaMonkey since it is my default browser.
Might you tell me what it was you downloaded with FF & if possible give me a link & I'll download it & submit the screenshot.:)

I have no ldea how I would provide a link to my desktop Icons. I probably should by now but I don't. Sorry about asking you to send a screen shot. After you had already sent one.
Here, again,( I thank), is a list of desktop Icons that I was able to change from the FF Icon to anything I wanted.Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo mail, Techspot OpenBoards. I changed my gmail Icon from the Google Chrome Icon.
My Google Earth is just like yours. Round Blue Ball with three white wavy lines going through it. Almost forgot. Today I put a shortcut on my desktop that takes me to what's playing at the local .Theaters. Also changed it's FF Icon to something I like better.
As far as being able to tell, or send you more Info on the subject. I can't. I have exhausted all my knowledge on the subject Ray

I have no ldea how I would provide a link to my desktop Icons. I probably should by now but I don't. Sorry about asking you to send a screen shot. After you had already sent one.
Here, again,( I thank), is a list of desktop Icons that I was able to change from the FF Icon to anything I wanted.Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo mail, Techspot OpenBoards. I changed my gmail Icon from the Google Chrome Icon.
My Google Earth is just like yours. Round Blue Ball with three white wavy lines going through it. Almost forgot. Today I put a shortcut on my desktop that takes me to what's playing at the local .Theaters. Also changed it's FF Icon to something I like better.
As far as being able to tell, or send you more Info on the subject. I can't. I have exhausted all my knowledge on the subject Ray

I think I've mis understood you. You're talking about shortcuts you click on to go to a website,correct? What you call shortcuts, I call bookmarks & my desktop is clear of shortcuts as seen here
Short46ba9f2a6976570b0353203ec4474217.jpg

Good god....

This should be so simple....

Circusboy01, how are you "downloading" those files that limit you to Firefox icons?

If it's an .exe, .msi, etc. filetype, it will NOT have a firefox icon...

If it's an website shortcut or "bookmark" that you have on your local machine, it will have your default browsers icon, as it is the default program it uses.

E.g... If I have Photoshop set to the default program for a .jpg, all .jpg files will have a photoshop icon.

This should be so simple....

Circusboy01, how are you "downloading" those files that limit you to Firefox icons?

If it's an .exe, .msi, etc. filetype, it will NOT have a firefox icon...

If it's an website shortcut or "bookmark" that you have on your local machine, it will have your default browsers icon, as it is the default program it uses.

E.g... If I have Photoshop set to the default program for a .jpg, all .jpg files will have a photoshop icon.

I type something in a GC or FF search window and press search.So,it must be a Website shortcut,because, for the most part, get the GC or FF icons.
A few other things I get different Icons. Like all my Anti mall/virus protection.
So I'm guessing they are exe. ormsi shoetcuts Thanks for the info Ray

Okay, that's a .exe file. It will have it's own icon. It isn't a file that has a "default program" such as an html document....

Okay, that's a .exe file. It will have it's own icon. It isn't a file that has a "default program" such as an html document....

Yes, I think what the OP is talking about is desktop shortcuts which I don't have scattered on my desktop as you can also see.:)

Right, I'm just very confused as to why any desktop shortcut would ever only be able to be changed to a FF icon.....

Right, I'm just very confused as to why any desktop shortcut would ever only be able to be changed to a FF icon.....

There not changed to an FF icon. But, they can be changed from an FF icon. If you download something using FF or GC often it will come with an FF or GC icon. These can usually be changed by opening the menu clicking properties at the bottom of the menu. Then clicking change icon. Then scroll through the icons and plck one you like. Every once in a while you'll get one that can't be changed, from a FF or GC icon
I don't know why GC and FF use their own icons. Instead of icons that better depict
the program that was downloaded. Ray

Back