Check out the first gameplay footage from this native Zelda: Ocarina of Time PC port

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The first gameplay footage from an unofficial native PC port of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has hit the Internet. It's not available to download yet, but is expected to arrive by mid-February... that is, assuming Nintendo doesn't get involved.

The project, from the duo of zel and vertigo, is said to feature widescreen and upscaling support. In the video’s description on YouTube, zel said the game is nearly fully playable although there are still some minor glitches that will be resolved soon.

This PC port is not associated with Harbour Masters or any other group. Vertigo told Video Games Chronicle that the two groups’ design philosophies and middleware were simply too different for them to work together efficiently.

Zel said support for 60 frames per second playback will eventually be added.

On Reddit, one user explained that the N64 version of Ocarina of Time runs at three different framerates: 60 fps for the pause screen, 30 fps for the title screen and 20 fps in the overworld. Select NPC routines and some of Link’s movements are based on framerates, so simply tripling it to hit 60 fps also triples things like jump distance and hookshot distance.

Once workarounds are implemented for these functions, 60 fps will no doubt be possible.

The legality of the PC port is another unknown. Some believe Nintendo would have a hard time shutting down the project if it doesn't use any official assets, but it's Nintendo we are talking about - a company that isn't fond of non-official fan projects.

Interested parties can stay up to date with the project over on Discord.

Permalink to story.

And another Nintendo C&D letter coming down in 3,2,1...

You know Nintendo, killing free community projects that are a sign of love towards your games isn't going to get anyone to buy a Switch, it only makes us loathe you more and actively avoid your products.

meh that didn't stop me from getting a copy of the Mario 64 PC port.

Once it hits the internet I will find!!
That I know, but I meant the project itself will be removed.

That it can come back in other ways, fine, but the point stand.

meh that didn't stop me from getting a copy of the Mario 64 PC port.

Once it hits the internet I will find!!

Nintendo tried taking down all the rom sites, but if you look hard enough you can find Nintendo roms floating around on the web. Once it is on the internet it is there forever.

Just use Project64 or Mupen64 and enjoy the game in all of it's original glory.

Back